Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When should i start studying in order to get 9s by year 11. I am currently in year 10 lol

ReputationRep:
    Now
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    we can't say, really. At the moment, just keep up with classwork.

ReputationRep:
    As in you should start revising now, your exams may be next year but revising everyday and getting through every topic will allow you to have plenty of time to go over it in your own pace before the exams arrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebeccasomething)
    As in you should start revising now, your exams may be next year but revising everyday and getting through every topic will allow you to have plenty of time to go over it in your own pace before the exams arrive.
    The danger would be running out of content too early and subsequently losing motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    The danger would be running out of content too early and subsequently losing motivation.
    Totally agree with this but if you have any coursework for any of your subjects make sure it completed to your best ability, this is an easy way for already having a good grade before walking into the exam for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    You should be doing some simple prep which is going to make your life a lot easier. If you can, start compiling cheat sheets for the subjects you are doing, so after each class write down the key points that you will need to remember for the exams.
    You could do the index cards and mind maps the same way.

For my exams, I did this as I went along last year, and it worked out well for me, as I passed with good grades. The brain will build better recall pathways if you remember over time, so just tick over for now, doing something every day. Then depending on the subject start getting your head down wit a revision plan about 6 months before the actual exam date. By then you should already have a good memory of the subject and be tweaking things that need your specific information and not the whole subject matter.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would start at this time next year. Make sure you do revise for your Y10 end of year mocks and any other tests you have.

I started my GCSE revision on Wednesday but have been doing revision for my mocks since October. Everything is going well for me so far. The book 'How to Ace Your GCSEs' really, really helped me. I reccomend you give it a read and make notes of important concepts.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous0901)
    Totally agree with this but if you have any coursework for any of your subjects make sure it completed to your best ability, this is an easy way for already having a good grade before walking into the exam for the subject.
    Shame that they're mostly gone now

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the perfect recipe for burn-out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Sounds like the perfect recipe for burn-out.
    Worked for me 😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Worked for me 😂
    what grades did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Like right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bxarnca)
    When should i start studying in order to get 9s by year 11. I am currently in year 10 lol
    Don't start studying now. You'll burn out. My school recommended starting the gradual build up around January-February of Year 11. Just do enough so that you are on top of class work and are regularly doing well in tests.

And don't get too obsessed over 9s. Remember that a 9 is harder to get than the old A*. And ask yourself why you really want 9s. If you want them to boost your uni application, fair enough. But if you only want 9s to please your parents, that isn't a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    what grades did you get?
    I'm currently in year 13 predicted A*A A, GCSE grades: 6A* 5As 1B

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.