Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 16 year old A level student and I really really need a job to help support my mum but I don't have any experience and my attempts so far have all ended in rejection, does anyone know good places to get a job easily? My CV is pretty good according to my careers advisor but any extra help to make it stand out or places to go would be appreciated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just keep handing it out and applying online. That's all you can really do. I didn't have any experience at 16 but I still got a job. Retail and restaurants are good. They tend to hire weekend staff because their weekday staff need time off.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !! I'll definitely keep trying just hoping there was some trick I was maybe missing to help my chances

ReputationRep:
    Volunteering could give you a bit of experience and a potential reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyflipside)
    I'm a 16 year old A level student and I really really need a job to help support my mum but I don't have any experience and my attempts so far have all ended in rejection, does anyone know good places to get a job easily? My CV is pretty good according to my careers advisor but any extra help to make it stand out or places to go would be appreciated
    try the large employers. I know Tesco, marks and Spencer, debenhams, Argos, pizza express and Macdonald's etc usually take on lots of staff

ReputationRep:
    you could begin to volunteer in a charity shop - this gives good experience. hand your CV into all restaurants and apply to retail stores online, for example primark as they take on students with no experience
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyflipside)
    Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
    - Next
    - Debenhams
    - River Island
    - Sports Soccer
    - JD Sports
    - Game
    - John Lewis
    - Toys R us
    - TK Maxx
    - Boots
    - Poundland
    - PC world
    - Currys
    - Ikea
    - Superdrug's
    - Staples
    - Greggs
    - Waterstones
    - Primark
    - Phone shops
    - B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
    Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
    Cinema's
    Pubs
    Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
    DIY Shops
    Bookies
    Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
    Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative, production operative

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
    - Indeed
    - Reed
    - Monster
    - Job centre plus
    - Fish4jobs
    - At your local Job centre board
    - Gumtree
    - Empty Lemon
    - Retail jobs
    - Job heaven
    - Jobsite
    - Your local shopping centre website
    - Agencies
    - Look through your Express and Star
    - Shop Window
    - Through someone
    - Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
    - Your university/college job shop
    - Through your local council

ReputationRep:
    Volunteering to get some experience first then try applying for retail jobs. Should work 👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.