The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
http://www.law.cam.ac.uk/docs/view_doc_info.php?class=18&order=doc_title&dir=asc&doc=5144&page=1&start=0

That's a link to the first year law timetable. I've looked through it and it lists 11 hours of lectures for 1A (us first years?) a week. All morning :mad: 3 on Mon/Tues/Wed and 1 each on Thursday + Friday. Sounds like a blast! Not.
Reply 101
Here, just think about the Natscis and medics who are lucky if they only have a 9-5pm day! As Arts students we are very lucky..

Also, lecture attendance is entirely optional and not everyone finds them useful.
If you really want to go to all of them, I hope you find some consolation in the fact that the number of lecture hours drops to about 8 in the second term!
Reply 102
I plan on trying to be a good boy and attending all/most of my lectures initially but if what I've heard is the case, that you can just print of lecture notes before the lecture, than I'll probably end up going to the ones I need to/enjoy.
Reply 103
And how similar is the Cambridge law course to this?

emkayone84
Im 24, and completed an LLB at Trinity College Dublin. Ive just been called to the bar in Ireland after studying for Ireland's version of the BVC at King's Inns.

I have the following advice/warnings for school-leavers thinking of studying law at undergraduate level:

1. Law is boring. Insanely and incredibly boring. A law degree is necessarily vocational in nature - it's professional training. A lot of uni law departments stress the intellectual nature of their law degrees. Especially Oxford and Cambridge. This is *******s for the most part. Yes, you do learn a lot of useful skills - your writing will improve, you will be able to distill general principles from a mass of dry material. But as to expanding the boundries of your mind with new knowledge, new concepts - a law degree will leave you feeling like you have spent three or four years learning off the phone book.

Most of the work you'll be required to do is the reading of cases. Most of these cases will have dry, humdrum fact patterns. In land law you will be dealing with rights of way disputes between neighbouring farms. In contract, whether or not Mr Jones really did agree to provide 500 lengths of copper piping and not 50. In tort you will examine 'fascinating' issues such negligence where the leading case in the area, Donoghue v Stevenson, is based on a lady who suffered shock after drinking a ginger beer that had a decomposed snail in it. In European law you will get to grips with one or two interesting concepts, but by and large, you will be examining the legality of fisheries quotas and competing definitions of mackeral in different states.

In short, you will spend 4 to 5 hours a day in you uni library reading some of the most boring litigation possible to imagine.

2. You do NOT need an LLB/BA (Juris) to practice law as a solicitor or as a barrister in the UK or Ireland. It speeds up the process to have a law degree, but it is not required. SO, if you accept that law is boring, but wish to enjoy the prestige of being a lawyer and the money that accompies such a profession, do a BA in something you like and do the one year conversion courses that places like City University offer in London. All the major law firms dont care what degree you have so long as it is a 2:1.

3. A law degree is not intellectually difficult. Any fool with an intermediate IQ and a reasonable memory will easily get a 2:2. Even at 'top' non-oxbridge law schools like KCL or UCL. I coasted most of the time at Trinity, Dublin (a sister college of St John's, Cambridge and Oriel, Oxford) and obtained a 67% 2:1. I crammed like hell in the final 6 weeks of each of my 4 years and did fine. I also coasted on the BVC and did fine as well.

So, kids, if you love learning for learning's sake and pushing your intellectual and cerebral boundries do NOT study law at undergrad level. Dont get me wrong. I did enjoy the social aspect of undergrad and was very involved in debating at Trinity and went to IVs etc - but from an intellectual point of view, it was bankrupt. Most bright students at top law schools all feel the same - they all try to convince themselves they like it. But deep down they find it insanely boring.

As to myself, now that Im fully qualified, i will not practice. I never want to look at the boring **** again no matter how much money i could make for it.
So, i got accepted to a Master's degree in international history at LSE.

I can't wait for my education to start again. It finished when i left school!

INTELLECTUALS PLEASE NOTE: SAVE YOURSELVES. Do that BA in Anthropology, Archaeology, Eastern Civilisations, History, Divinity etc. Your mind is at its best at 18. Give it the food that it needs.
Reply 104
First year timetable wasn't that bad.. I've looked at my one for this year.. 3x 9am [not good for rowing..] and don't finish til like 5 on thursdays.. [but that's only because the 4 lectures are all spaced out..] so I think I'll be spending a lot more time in the breadbin than last year..

As for that account... well hum.

[I guess I should point out that I spent a lot more time faffing around than studying law in the normal way.. and so I am probably not your typical law student..]

1) I don't really get how the degree is 'vocational'. It seems to be entirely academic to me and seems to ignore the 'practical' side of what would happen if you were actually working on the case as a solicitor/barrister. I suppose there is mooting, but whether it's compulsory or not depends on college.

Maybe I was just a completely narrow minded idiot before starting the law tripos but I do think I have learnt some new concepts etc. Although I won't deny that I found studying law frustrating at times and often pined after architecture or medicine [don't make life easy for myself do i?]. However I like to blame this on the 'grass is always greener' syndrome. When you have a long list of cases to get through, and it's just the lawyers in the library, it can feel a bit 'why on earth did I bother doing this when Johnny Geography* over there [in the bar] is doing less work, having more fun, will probably get higher grades, do the conversion, and go into the same field anyway??'
However, having come out the other side of first year... I'm almost ashamed to say that despite my protestations the WHOLE way through the year, I do actually like law.. and I find myself constantly thinking of the legal implications of things everywhere I go.. Heck, I was even excited when the provocation reform stuff came out...

I guess you could class some of the litigation as 'boring' but I managed to find little bits in each case that made it entertaining in some way.. even if it was just the word 'traxcavator'.. I think it's probably as interesting/exciting as you make it. I mean, I struggled with constitutional and roman; consti had really interesting subject matter but it felt like it was hidden behind this wall of gumph that I could never get through.. until easter term where it all somehow came together enough for me to scrape a 2.1.. roman just needed some dressing up in togas and actually reading the digest for the little stories...

3) [I thought 2 wasn't really a cam-specific thing]
Again, maybe this is because I am generally quite dumb, but I did find it difficult... Having a good memory and being able to learn things off is of course a help but it is true for every degree; a medic friend of mine once said that 'a monkey could get a first in medicine'..

And as for practicing at the end of it.. I am led to believe that it is a totally different ball-game from the degree.. at least, that's what I tell myself..

I've forgotten what I was talking about.. so I'm going to stop now..

*I'm not demeaning geography... it just rhymed well.. kinda..
Reply 105
I would say this is an entirely accurate account given by someone who hated law, should never have applied for the subject and made a terrible mistake, rather than an accurate account. Addressing each point in turn:

1. "law is boring" I think here each must be to his own, law certainly can be at least as intellectualy challenging and difficult as any other "Arts" subject, in reality while learning cases and reading cases can certainly be dull as ditchwater on occasion this is only really a window dressing for the subject (like any pure "learning" this is dull but important for the actual intellectual challenge) .

2. "its a vocational not an intellectual degree" rubbish, i can't comment outside oxbridge and despite what the op may have felt TC Dublin is not the same despite being a great university, but certainly while it does teach you the academicskills you need to work as a lawyer (and therefore requires certain areas to be studied that maybe you wouldn't pick by choice ahem land law ahem) it certainly is an academic degree here, the dual system of lectures and supervisions certainly means you are constantly academically challenged, you won't sit in a room with a supervisor for very long just reciting case names and reciting textbook definitions.

3. "You can do a conversion course" - yes, yes you can infact if you think you would perfer to study something else which is your passion then it may well be a better option for you, but this is no comment on the value of a law degree.

4. "law is easy" no, but by his university we can see that the op is clever, it is the 21st century and the simple fact is that you are expected to get a 2.1 in your degree otherwise it is seen as a poor result, a 2.2 is pretty easy to get if you are intelligent enough to have gotten through the oxbridge selection process in the first place then you can get a 2.2 and almost certainly if you work hard a 2.1. But you work significantly harder at oxbridge than at other universites anyway.
Reply 106
Hmm I suppose.. but then, it's normally only one moot, which can be thrown by those who have no interest and it may even help people to decide if they want to give being a barrister more thought than they previously had..
And there's always the people who love mooting and don't want to be a barrister.. good for learning how to present arguments and all..
Anyway, one moot isn't all that much to ask really.. and making it compulsory means that all the people who would normally be far too shy to put themselves forward for such an activity but would probably, in actuality, quite like to have a go [i.e me] are able to do it without the same level of self doubting..
Reply 107
I turned up to the moot with a bundle i had prepared 15 minutes in advance and no notes and enjoyed it, its normally sponsored by some firm or other in most colleges which i think is the real reason its compulsory as it gives the college law soc a good link with a firm to plunder for sponsorship and the like rather than because any of your supervisors care about your performance (mine certainly didn't I attempted to agrue that running someone over with a tank was like hitting them with a cricket ball in bolton v stone - obviously it came unstuck but it made the panel laugh)
Reply 108
Mooting sounds good to me, I'm definitely going to have a crack at it. Although I've heard it eats up tonnes of hours. Is that true? I suppose it's how much time you want to spend?
Reply 109
It can do, especially if you have supervisions to also prepare for.. but it's fine if you just schedule things well ahead.... coming from the girl who didn't start photocopying her FIVE bundles til an hour before the start, only to have the photocopier run out of paper... which led to my moot being a mess.. but oh well, it was an experience..
Reply 110
If you take it seriously it is essentially like having another supervision that week, there is also a speed mooting competetion aswell though, which is the 20-20 cricket of the mooting world and takes about 3 hours iirc?

In regards to my argument phil, it was along time ago but loking back at my skeleton i suggest the defendant had poor eyesight and was driving his tank on his private property, I decided that really his private land was just like a cricket pitch, and a tank was just a big cricket ball and that he had the same rights to be driving a tank around as he had to be doing anything else on his land. Therefore i submitted that
1.2. That the existence of a duty of care would violate Sir James right to a private life under article 8 of the Human Rights Act
2.1. That the risk of running over a visitors car was not one which would have been a foreseeable result of the omission of Sir James.
2.3 that given the cricumstances the conduct of sir james was emminently reasonable
Cases: Caparo, Bolton, Human rights act, an obscure shipping case that no-one had ever heard of before that said something i thought was vaguely simlar but was infact totally and utterly wrong.

unsurpringly i lost :biggrin:
P.s still stalking you phil even from hundreds of miles away
Reply 111
Takahashi
If you take it seriously it is essentially like having another supervision that week, there is also a speed mooting competetion aswell though, which is the 20-20 cricket of the mooting world and takes about 3 hours iirc?

In regards to my argument phil, it was along time ago but loking back at my skeleton i suggest the defendant had poor eyesight and was driving his tank on his private property, I decided that really his private land was just like a cricket pitch, and a tank was just a big cricket ball and that he had the same rights to be driving a tank around as he had to be doing anything else on his land. Therefore i submitted that
1.2. That the existence of a duty of care would violate Sir James right to a private life under article 8 of the Human Rights Act
2.1. That the risk of running over a visitors car was not one which would have been a foreseeable result of the omission of Sir James.
2.3 that given the cricumstances the conduct of sir james was emminently reasonable
Cases: Caparo, Bolton, Human rights act, an obscure shipping case that no-one had ever heard of before that said something i thought was vaguely simlar but was infact totally and utterly wrong.

Sounds pretty tenable to me :p:
Takahashi

I think you should have won... simply for the way you brought cricket into this:yep: :yep:
Reply 113
Hiya,
Aside from the obvious academic side of things, what kind of extra-curricular things would someone want to be doing to put them in an advantageous position for law?
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked!
I'm assuming you would want to be sitting in on some cases in crown courts, magistrates courts etc, work experience in a law firm, but is there anything absolutly essential that unis (and especially cambridge) would be looking for?

Thankyou in advance!
xx
Reading loads of books maybe watching a few cases in court (you can can't you) and ermmm maybe some work experience at a solicitors
Reply 115
there is nothing essential, but some interesting and maybe unusual books, watching some cases in court, some work experience is all good stuff, i only hs the first of these, they are nice to have but not that important compared to the interview
Reply 116
I wouldn't say anything was essential but the more you do, the greater the impression of your interest in the subject perhaps?

Viewing in court is the best thing to do in my opinion. It's free, you're not looking at 'Law' from a vocational perspective as you would shadowing a solicitor/barrister but 'in action' and there is plenty for you to take form it/talk about in your interview/ps.

Debating is perhaps a good precursor to mooting and reading some law texts can only help. Make sure you read the right books though, 'The Law Machine' is a standard text that isn't really that helpful, you're bound to know most of what it says already. 'What about Law' is a book some freshers have been told to read before they go, that might be a good starting point and anything else your local library has which is more than just a factfile about the legal system. Don't bother buying anything though, it's not worth it.

The best thing to probably do is keep up with the law in the news. Go through a decent paper everyday and just keep up with legal developments i.e. last week there was the issue of detaining an illegal immigrant in a detention centre even though he was underage. It's the kind of legal problem scenario they could chuck at you in an interview: Is it justified considering his age? His right to be in the country? What if he is an asylum seeker? etc etc.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 117
That's great thankyou! xx

Oh PS my AS subjects are history, maths, economics, english lit and critical thinking, are these the sort of things i would want to be studying?

PPS i would rep you all but i dont have enough points myself!!
Reply 118
Rudrax
I wouldn't say anything was essential but the more you do, the greater the impression of your interest in the subject perhaps?

Viewing in court is the best thing to do in my opinion. It's free, you're not looking at 'Law' from a vocational perspective as you would shadowing a solicitor/barrister but 'in action' and there is plenty for you to take form it/talk about in your interview/ps.

Debating is perhaps a good precursor to mooting and reading some law texts can only help. Make sure you read the right books though, 'The Law Machine' is a standard text that isn't really that helpful, you're bound to know most of what it says already. 'What about Law' is a book some freshers have been told to read before they go, that might be a good starting point and anything else your local library has which is more than just a factfile about the legal system. Don't bother buying anything though, it's not worth it.

The best thing to probably do is keep up with the law in the news. Go through a decent paper everyday and just keep up with legal developments i.e. last week there was the issue of detaining an illegal immigrant in a detention centre even though he was underage. It's the kind of legal problem scenario they could chuck at you in an interview: Is it justified considering his age? His right to be in the country? What if he is an asylum seeker? etc etc.

Good luck with your application :smile:

I think the Law Machine is pretty interesting! Just to supplement and it has some of the nice basic procedures etc!
Reply 119
Mia:x
That's great thankyou! xx

Oh PS my AS subjects are history, maths, economics, english lit and critical thinking, are these the sort of things i would want to be studying?

PPS i would rep you all but i dont have enough points myself!!

Yep, they're perfect subjects to be doing. Are you keeping them all on for A2?

And no worries :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending