The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doughnuts!!
Alexander. A lot of people don't seem to know her and I'm not surprised considering how bad she is...

Nah, I would actually go through a lot of supervisions saying pretty much nothing. I made notes but I could never get everything done and she couldn't clarify anything that I was confused over. :sad:

Ooh, she was supposed to supervise me for IP, until I pointed out to my DoS that I'd swapped IP for Labour Law about 4 months beforehand :tongue:

You can e-mail lecturers, you know. NP is absolutely lovely (apparently only if she likes you. She liked me though so :redface:) if you want someone and she wrote a textbook. If you know anyone who has JS, he's brilliant (he supervises me this year. Have so much love for his supervising powers) so get them to ask him questions.

If you know all the updates in the law, have you tried looking at Ashworth's book? It's probably a bit out of date now (I think it was written in 2009) but it's very clear and concise. If he's written a new edition, that's even better :biggrin:

I know Tortious also swears by Herring. He's less authoritative but maybe more up-to-date
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gethsemane342

I know Tortious also swears by Herring. He's less authoritative but maybe more up-to-date

He also extracts cases, which is quite useful, and sets things out very clearly.

I just bought herring to use for revision -- annoyingly, a new edition comes out at the start of may
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I know that feel bro.

lol I went through one civil supervision having done an hour and a half's work for it in lent. Ffs, if it wasn't so easy to get through supervisions I'd be in a much better position right now.

edit: there's a lot for criminal, but the cases are mostly only like 8 pages long, so it's quite easy to get a good understanding in not much time through just reading cases.

edit 2: I second your comment above, the notes are fantastic.

:cry2: I hate life.

Regarding the emboldened, do you really think so? I'm currently going through the textbooks and my (very few) notes and then I plan on moving on to cases after getting a decent-ish grasp of the basics.

Ooh, she was supposed to supervise me for IP, until I pointed out to my DoS that I'd swapped IP for Labour Law about 4 months beforehand :tongue:

You can e-mail lecturers, you know. NP is absolutely lovely (apparently only if she likes you. She liked me though so :redface:) if you want someone and she wrote a textbook. If you know anyone who has JS, he's brilliant (he supervises me this year. Have so much love for his supervising powers) so get them to ask him questions.

If you know all the updates in the law, have you tried looking at Ashworth's book? It's probably a bit out of date now (I think it was written in 2009) but it's very clear and concise. If he's written a new edition, that's even better :biggrin:

Emailing lecturers sounds like a quality idea, cheers for that!

Just had a quick flick through Ashworth and it looks so much easier to understand than the other textbooks I've used! I've got Herring and enjoyed using it, but the fact that it was a casebook and was less detailed than other textbooks scared me slightly as I thought that it might not contain enough information.

EDIT: Btw, I've spent the whole day learning homicide and corporate manslaughter seems like one of the most straightforward things. Why would you advise dropping it for revision?
(edited 12 years ago)

Regarding the emboldened, do you really think so? I'm currently going through the textbooks and my (very few) notes and then I plan on moving on to cases after getting a decent-ish grasp of the basics.

Emailing lecturers sounds like a quality idea, cheers for that!

Just had a quick flick through Ashworth and it looks so much easier to understand than the other textbooks I've used! I've got Herring and enjoyed using it, but the fact that it was a casebook and was less detailed than other textbooks scared me slightly as I thought that it might not contain enough information.

EDIT: Btw, I've spent the whole day learning homicide and corporate manslaughter seems like one of the most straightforward things. Why would you advise dropping it for revision?

Corporate manslaughter will come up once at most. Most other topics can appear between 2 - 4 times on the paper. You have limited time so it's better to focus on the stuff that's most likely to crop up.

Supervision IX for tort is taking me way longer than I have. I can't believe my life has been reduced to looking at liability for straying livestock at nearly 12pm, during the holidays.

Yeah, massively, though it probably depends on the person. Obviously there are some things where reading a case in full will be pointless -- reading Misra did me entirely no good, nor did reading Wacker, to pick two, because they both make really quite simple points long windedly, but there are some cases, (to pick some out of the air) Whitta in sex offences, or A,B,C and D in complicity, or A-G's ref 3 of 1994, where I found the judgments short and helpful for understanding the principles; and then obviously there are some cases you really need to read, either because they're massively important, like e.g. Gnango, or because they're not extracted or noted in any of the case or textbooks because they're so new, like, again, Gnango.*

Not meaning to sound like I'm in any position to tell you how to do things, I'm not, just letting you know how I see it/ what help I get from stuff.

*that said, I never read Belmarsh or Transco in full, and I think they're really quite important :dontknow:

edit: so in answer to your question I guess no, I wouldn't just read cases, but I do find them very helpful for criminal, more so than for tort or consti.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The West Wing
PM me your email address and I'll send you my super-duper Roman Law notes.

Any possibility of taking advantage of this gracious offer, Caesar?
Ok chaps, it's time to place my cards on the table. I haven't done any revision over the Easter (yet) and therefore I am in something of a conundrum.

I have a tort mock when I get back and then there's the issue of the 9th supervisions. Taking these into account that leaves me with having to work at a rate of one supervision per day up to the exams (9 hours worth of work and one exam question a day). Basically, the 9th supervisions are going to take a large chunk of time out of revision which I desperately need. Even though I've never been able to revise over long periods of time I am worried that with the amount of material I may have to resort fo cramming.

I am more than open to any suggestions on how to best organise my time from those who are undoubtedly more organised than I.

HELP MEH!
Original post by Cast.Iron
Ok chaps, it's time to place my cards on the table. I haven't done any revision over the Easter (yet) and therefore I am in something of a conundrum.

I have a tort mock when I get back and then there's the issue of the 9th supervisions. Taking these into account that leaves me with having to work at a rate of one supervision per day up to the exams (9 hours worth of work and one exam question a day). Basically, the 9th supervisions are going to take a large chunk of time out of revision which I desperately need. Even though I've never been able to revise over long periods of time I am worried that with the amount of material I may have to resort fo cramming.

I am more than open to any suggestions on how to best organise my time from those who are undoubtedly more organised than I.

HELP MEH!

Firstly, ask yourself whether you want to do the last supervision in the exam. If you're following the same order I had, you've got:

Civil: Delicts?
Consti: Freedom of Assembly or something
Crim: Property offences: handling, criminal damage and something else along those lines...
Tort: Defamation.

For what it's worth, I'd keep delicts for Civil as it's the easiest topic. Consti, the freedoms are generally nice, easy questions but if you've already got other topics you'd prefer to do, don't keep it. Consti's nice and discrete like that. Criminal, you can get by without property offences in too much detail. Drop defamation.

Anyhow, once you've decided, work accordingly. If you're going to keep the topic, do in-depth reading now and nail a good set of notes as this will stick in your head. If you're going to drop it, I'd say do little bits in the evening - say 2 hours or so in the evening - and revise in the day. Just do it in outline.
Any possibility of taking advantage of this gracious offer, Caesar?

Yeah, pm me your email address.
Sorry to but in here with a random question, but I noticed that you were talking about criminal law text books. I'm not a Cambridge Law undergrad, but I'm doing some study of Criminal Law to see whether I might be interested in taking a GDL (I studied something else at Cam). I've been using Smith and Hogan and I'm finding it too heavy and confusing. I've looked at the Herring on amazon preview and the language seems to be simpler. Is the Ashworth simpler again?
Original post by n4n0g
Sorry to but in here with a random question, but I noticed that you were talking about criminal law text books. I'm not a Cambridge Law undergrad, but I'm doing some study of Criminal Law to see whether I might be interested in taking a GDL (I studied something else at Cam). I've been using Smith and Hogan and I'm finding it too heavy and confusing. I've looked at the Herring on amazon preview and the language seems to be simpler. Is the Ashworth simpler again?

Yeah Ashworth is more of a hybrid of law and sociology of law and it's a good choice. You won't be doing that kind of analysis on the GDL though, it will be very much memorising black letter law, more like Smith and Hogan.

HELP MEH!

On consti, and I'm taking some of this stuff directly from what my supervisor said to us:

You need to do sovereignty, and that includes the HRA supervision and the EU one, at least including the factortames and thoburn etc, and the rule of law supervision is very useful as it can to a limited extent mix with sovereignty, the rule of law being Dicey's second principle and all that, and there having been suggestions from e.g. Jowell that the Rule of Law as a principle is coming to displace sovereignty. These you need. Then, as per geth: separation of powers is non-essential, you need only a vague idea of conventions unless you want to do a question specifically on it, you don't really need to read the articles on whether we should have a written constitution from sup1 since you can answer those questions with the rest of the stuff, though it would be useful... judicial review might be useful to a limited extent with sovereignty questions, but the theory of it is non essential (the substance of it is also non-essential, but I hear it comes up always as a problem question, so might be useful.) It might be useful to know the stuff about judicial deference in judicial review, to allow assessment of the changes to the law made by the HRA (ss. 6,7)...

Anything else I said would just be repeating what geth told me, but I think I have quite a good grasp of the layout of the consti course, so anyway there's my $0.02.

And fwiw I think I'm going to drop everything except for obligations and an outline of property for civil.
Firstly, ask yourself whether you want to do the last supervision in the exam. If you're following the same order I had, you've got:

Civil: Delicts?
Consti: Freedom of Assembly or something
Crim: Property offences: handling, criminal damage and something else along those lines...
Tort: Defamation.

For what it's worth, I'd keep delicts for Civil as it's the easiest topic. Consti, the freedoms are generally nice, easy questions but if you've already got other topics you'd prefer to do, don't keep it. Consti's nice and discrete like that. Criminal, you can get by without property offences in too much detail. Drop defamation.

Anyhow, once you've decided, work accordingly. If you're going to keep the topic, do in-depth reading now and nail a good set of notes as this will stick in your head. If you're going to drop it, I'd say do little bits in the evening - say 2 hours or so in the evening - and revise in the day. Just do it in outline.

Yep you're right on all counts apart from tort, we did defamation supervision 8! Our supervisor said that people lost a lot of marks in tort last year because they simply failed to recognise when something was a defamation issue. Ah well, I don't intend to revise it heavily to be honest.

How much detail is enough detail with the property offences do you think?

Do you think that revising one supervision a day isn't going to let me cover enough? Starting to panic a bit now, I just can't work at home (thus the reason I'm going back to Cam early)!
Original post by The West Wing
Yeah Ashworth is more of a hybrid of law and sociology of law and it's a good choice. You won't be doing that kind of analysis on the GDL though, it will be very much memorising black letter law, more like Smith and Hogan.

Thank you! Don't suppose you could recommend a simpler counterpart to Smith and Hogan? Apologies again for ransacking your thread.
Original post by n4n0g
Thank you! Don't suppose you could recommend a simpler counterpart to Smith and Hogan? Apologies again for ransacking your thread.

I'd go for Padfield - Criminal Law. It's far from a suitable textbook for any course but it'll get you the basics.
Yep you're right on all counts apart from tort, we did defamation supervision 8! Our supervisor said that people lost a lot of marks in tort last year because they simply failed to recognise when something was a defamation issue. Ah well, I don't intend to revise it heavily to be honest.

How much detail is enough detail with the property offences do you think?

Do you think that revising one supervision a day isn't going to let me cover enough? Starting to panic a bit now, I just can't work at home (thus the reason I'm going back to Cam early)!

Defamation has come up twice at most on a paper. Looking at last year's, I only spotted one question with it in. I had JO'S in first year and she doesn't even teach it unless the entire group asks for it (she had a negligence recap supervision instead)

Enough to be able to answer a problem question with it thrown in. Don't bother with academic criticism, it's not worth it.

You'll be fine. I tend to do one supervision a day. You're not going to learn the whole syllabus and you do have just under 2 months :smile: Civil Law I is very light and Consti is very discrete.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
On consti, and I'm taking some of this stuff directly from what my supervisor said to us:

You need to do sovereignty, and that includes the HRA supervision and the EU one, at least including the factortames and thoburn etc, and the rule of law supervision is very useful as it can to a limited extent mix with sovereignty, the rule of law being Dicey's second principle and all that, and there having been suggestions from e.g. Jowell that the Rule of Law as a principle is coming to displace sovereignty. These you need. Then, as per geth: separation of powers is non-essential, you need only a vague idea of conventions unless you want to do a question specifically on it, you don't really need to read the articles on whether we should have a written constitution from sup1 since you can answer those questions with the rest of the stuff, though it would be useful... judicial review might be useful to a limited extent with sovereignty questions, but the theory of it is non essential (the substance of it is also non-essential, but I hear it comes up always as a problem question, so might be useful.) It might be useful to know the stuff about judicial deference in judicial review, to allow assessment of the changes to the law made by the HRA (ss. 6,7)...

Anything else I said would just be repeating what geth told me, but I think I have quite a good grasp of the layout of the consti course, so anyway there's my $0.02.

And fwiw I think I'm going to drop everything except for obligations and an outline of property for civil.

So basically your supervisor is saying that, for Consti, it's only essential to have a detailed knowledge of the theoretical arguments surrounding sovereignty/rule of law etc? That doesn't seem like enough to me :s-smilie:. If it is then great because that's probably my favourite part of the course.

I like property for civil but yeah screw sources and persons!
For Tort my strategy was to do four problem questions so I agree with Geth about not learning the criticism.
So basically your supervisor is saying that, for Consti, it's only essential to have a detailed knowledge of the theoretical arguments surrounding sovereignty/rule of law etc? That doesn't seem like enough to me :s-smilie:. If it is then great because that's probably my favourite part of the course.

welllll, the more non-essential things you drop the more essential other non-essential ones become. But outside the rule of law/ sovereignty stuff, basically pick two things. An obvious one is substantive judicial review. Another'd be EU law, the non-sovereignty bit. I reckon if you did that you'd have more than enough to get through the exam, since if any written constitution questions came up you'd have the bill of rights stuff from the HRA to answer with, as well as all the sovereignty/ RoL stuff.

He emphasised to us that the sovereignty theory stuff is the really important stuff, said we could drop freedom of expression, sup IX, separation of powers etc. I worked a bit from inference, but he basically said what I said yeah. (I'm gonna do separation of powers anyway, I worked for ages on the constitutional reform act :frown: )

From what I've seen for Consti, JR seems to come up as a relatively easy problem Q quite a bit. EU stuff is one thing I intend to do in-depth as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending