The Student Room Group

A-level Photography portfolio

I'm thinking about doing A-level photography, however, I'm not doing art/photography at GCSE.
I spoke to the photography A-level teacher at the college and he said that if you haven't done art/photography at GCSE we would need to produce a photography portfolio to see if we can follow an idea.
The problem is i don't know how to start a portfolio or what ideas/themes i should base it on.
Original post by Lokum
I'm thinking about doing A-level photography, however, I'm not doing art/photography at GCSE.
I spoke to the photography A-level teacher at the college and he said that if you haven't done art/photography at GCSE we would need to produce a photography portfolio to see if we can follow an idea.
The problem is i don't know how to start a portfolio or what ideas/themes i should base it on.

Hmm have you taken any photos before? Or is it just something you're interested in doing?
What interests you about photography?
I could give you some ideas but i think it's more interesting to say, if someone said to you make a series of photos on one theme tonight, what would it be? Take some time to think about it.
Reply 2
Original post by banoffeee
Hmm have you taken any photos before? Or is it just something you're interested in doing?
What interests you about photography?
I could give you some ideas but i think it's more interesting to say, if someone said to you make a series of photos on one theme tonight, what would it be? Take some time to think about it.

I've taken many photos - even doing a photo shoot for a cafe's menu -. But what interests is how I could tell a story/send out a message using a single picture.
I already thought about doing a theme in travel (not travel as in the sense of tourism) taking pictures of roads, railways, transport etc.
Or emotion how people might mask their true emotions etc.
Original post by Lokum
I've taken many photos - even doing a photo shoot for a cafe's menu -. But what interests is how I could tell a story/send out a message using a single picture.
I already thought about doing a theme in travel (not travel as in the sense of tourism) taking pictures of roads, railways, transport etc.
Or emotion how people might mask their true emotions etc.

Sounds like good ideas. A suggestion would be to go to somewhere specific - e.g. train station, bus stop... I always find I can take a million interesting pictures at a busy train station in town.

Quick Reply

Latest