Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Roundabouts what lane to exit? URGENT Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am wondering what lane should i exit into, the roundabout has 3 lanes however the exit changes into 2 lanes, the signs tell me i have to be in the right lane to exit at the 3rd exit however when i exit do i exit into the right lane (fast lane/overtaking) then move across into the left lane or do i move into the left lane before i leave?
    This photo shows the entrance that i take and the right hand lane. Do i stay in the right hand lane even when i exit then move to the left? Or move just before i exit Name:  044BD1C1-DD9F-48D9-B4C2-465282F816B8.jpg.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  30.1 KB

I have seen many people say wait to you leave and others say move across just before you leave, i have found out both ways are legal however cars approaching in the entrance on my left their middle lane allows them to take the same exit as me which would leave them straight into the left lane and im worried if i tried to move across i would cut them up. Name:  A34D5E90-7343-41BC-9105-8224F6F18BA1.jpg.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  30.4 KB

Sorry if this is confusing.
    Attached Images

Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to have a closer look at the lanes search up “ caw roundabout “ its in derry northern ireland

ReputationRep:
    Very funny lol, no ive my driving test Monday and this roundabout is a definite roundabout that they take you

ReputationRep:
    If you are in the right hand lane of the roundabout, then you probably should exit into the right hand lane of the dual carriageway
    Although pulling off into the left hand lane is a legal manouvre and is safe is no one is on your left, you risk cutting someone up
    The fact its a broken white line means you can change lanes while on the roundabout if it is safe to do so so if the opportunity presents, you might want to move off into the left hand lane after you pass the 3rd exit

Personally, the way I would tackle it would be to exit into the right hand lane then change back into the left hand lane when it is safe to do so OR change into the left hand lane after the 3rd exit IF IT IS SAFE, I can't stress that enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dickwhittington)
    If you are in the right hand lane of the roundabout, then you probably should exit into the right hand lane of the dual carriageway
    Although pulling off into the left hand lane is a legal manouvre and is safe is no one is on your left, you risk cutting someone up
    The fact its a broken white line means you can change lanes while on the roundabout if it is safe to do so so if the opportunity presents, you might want to move off into the left hand lane after you pass the 3rd exit

Personally, the way I would tackle it would be to exit into the right hand lane then change back into the left hand lane when it is safe to do so OR change into the left hand lane after the 3rd exit IF IT IS SAFE, I can't stress that enough.
    Thank you. Yeah i did that today in my test. Unfortunately failed☹️ not due to changing lanes though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smcelwee827)
    Thank you. Yeah i did that today in my test. Unfortunately failed☹️ not due to changing lanes though
    Unlucky, it’s all a learning experience and it’s better to make mistakes in your test than pass first time and have an accident
    What did you fail on if you don’t mind saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dickwhittington)
    Unlucky, it’s all a learning experience and it’s better to make mistakes in your test than pass first time and have an accident
    What did you fail on if you don’t mind saying
    Yeah im not really upset kind of glad as my only minors was hesitation and appropiate speed (didnt get up to speed limit as fast as he would of liked) i failed when misjuding when to merge onto a very big roundabout, was rush hour from schools getting out and i was waiting for 5 minutes for a gap so lots of pressure. Booked again for friday

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you could have entered on the middle lane and that would have, by the 3rd exit, become the left lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    It looks like you could have entered on the middle lane and that would have, by the 3rd exit, become the left lane.
    Middle lane is left or straight ahead only

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.