The Student Room Group

existential crisis

hi
(edited 6 years ago)
Chemistry, biology, biochemistry, natural sciences?
Radiography.
Medicine, just go for it, why is studying it a scary prospect?
check out uni courses, see if anything sparks an interest, and look at careers concerning or after that course?
Reply 5
Original post by TheMindGarage
Chemistry, biology, biochemistry, natural sciences?

thats great sorry i forgot to mention i acc dont like science much the experiments and stuff i hate research lol but thanks gor ur suggestions
Veterinary medicine? I've been through the human medicine phase as it didn't really interest me but my parents wanted the title doctor but luckily I do have a passion for veterinary medicine, have you thought about biomedicine, optometry, pharmacy etc?
Reply 7
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Medicine, just go for it, why is studying it a scary prospect?

yea its just for me i have alot of anxiety im not squeamish or anything i just dont think i can handle all the pressure and 8 years of studying i just want to get the most of my life do u get me like i dont want to be under all dat stress as i do want to enjoy life and be happy
Original post by kkshri2000
thats great sorry i forgot to mention i acc dont like science much the experiments and stuff i hate research lol but thanks gor ur suggestions

I see. You could see if you can go into some kind of engineering.
Reply 9
Original post by Rebeccasomething
Veterinary medicine? I've been through the human medicine phase as it didn't really interest me but my parents wanted the title doctor but luckily I do have a passion for veterinary medicine, have you thought about biomedicine, optometry, pharmacy etc?

i have acc considered veterinary as i love animals but the prospect doesnt appeal to me as the human side becuz originally i wanted to medicine to go into emergency med or derm but now ofc im confused. ive considered biomed but its not the research i dont like but optometry and physiotherapy seems pretty cool and pharmacy ive heard its hard to get a job in it i did wanna bea firefighter at one point as a child but im not really physically fit for it 😅
i have acc considered veterinary as i love animals but the prospect doesnt appeal to me as the human side becuz originally i wanted to medicine to go into emergency med or derm but now ofc im confused. ive considered biomed but its not the research i dont like but optometry and physiotherapy seems pretty cool and pharmacy ive heard its hard to get a job in it i did wanna bea firefighter at one point as a child but im not really physically fit for it 😅

I have a friend going through the exact same crisis,the only problem is that he's in year 13. However there are ways around it, my advice to you is gain as much experince as you can in year 12. Once your in year 13 make sure your personal statement is not solely on medicine but branches out to things such as optometry or degrees that are related so you can apply to these courses and not just medicine. I know some students who applied to medicine but were not accepted but there grades were still top notch and got into biomedicine and other good courses on the clearing list. So don't be to hard on yourself! :smile:
Reply 11
I have a friend going through the exact same crisis,the only problem is that he's in year 13. However there are ways around it, my advice to you is gain as much experince as you can in year 12. Once your in year 13 make sure your personal statement is not solely on medicine but branches out to things such as optometry or degrees that are related so you can apply to these courses and not just medicine. I know some students who applied to medicine but were not accepted but there grades were still top notch and got into biomedicine and other good courses on the clearing list. So don't be to hard on yourself! :smile:

oh really thanks so much for all this info i am acc really stuck with all these decisions and its all so daunting and confusing. so ur telling me to go for it but get loads of other work experinece too cuz i an aware that medicine is really competitive very hard to get in even eith all the grades so im in the process of finding work exoerince for med u think i shoukd get some for optometry too or physio?
oh really thanks so much for all this info i am acc really stuck with all these decisions and its all so daunting and confusing. so ur telling me to go for it but get loads of other work experinece too cuz i an aware that medicine is really competitive very hard to get in even eith all the grades so im in the process of finding work exoerince for med u think i shoukd get some for optometry too or physio?

You should gather work experience in hospitals and apply to the Sutton trust summer school that's runs for year 12s. Optometry and physio would be extremely helpful when coming to your personal statement. Easy work experience like working in a shelter for animals or with the elderly will be helpful too as it shows empathy and adds to an ongoing list of skills. If you don't reach the required grades you can also apply to gateway to medicine/dentistry/veterinary medicine, there is always a way :smile:
Reply 13
You should gather work experience in hospitals and apply to the Sutton trust summer school that's runs for year 12s. Optometry and physio would be extremely helpful when coming to your personal statement. Easy work experience like working in a shelter for animals or with the elderly will be helpful too as it shows empathy and adds to an ongoing list of skills. If you don't reach the required grades you can also apply to gateway to medicine/dentistry/veterinary medicine, there is always a way :smile:

thats acc really cool btw wat do u mean by gateway to medicine and currently im volunteering in nhw hospital so does that count as work experinece or do i need more specidic physio work experince
Reply 14
Original post by TheMindGarage
I see. You could see if you can go into some kind of engineering.

i have considered the role its just engineering doesnt really seem that interestiong but i have considered civil chemical n environmental but im not sure will i need physics for engineering

Quick Reply

Latest