Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    👋🏻
    I'm new here having lurked for a long time. I sent my UCAS form on Thursday and got an interview yesterday! I want to get on the part time PGCE at Northumbria but this is for a local SCITT.

I have two kids, currently 5 and 19 months. I know a few teachers who have a good work life balance but am nervous. Last year, I did do 120 credits with OU (equivalent to full time at uni but done part time at home) as well as teaching singing and piano part time, lots of voluntary work and a distance learning TA course. This year, as well as the kids, I work full time as a TA and am still doing part time teaching on a sat and doing my degree. I'm pretty good at juggling clearly but wonder if this is at all good prep for a SCITT or PGCE?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I think it sounds like you have lots of experience so go for it! Like you, I have 2 children and am applying to do SCITT (full time). I've got my interview in 2 weeks - eek! I've been working as a TA for the last few years but also trying to work out how I'm going to juggle family and SCITT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlin78)
    Hi, I think it sounds like you have lots of experience so go for it! Like you, I have 2 children and am applying to do SCITT (full time). I've got my interview in 2 weeks - eek! I've been working as a TA for the last few years but also trying to work out how I'm going to juggle family and SCITT!
    Ah wow hope you get it! I'm used to working at nights anyway so wondering, though it will be harder, if it will be as bad as people who haven't been juggling so much?!

ReputationRep:
    I finished my PGCE this year. I am not NQT. I have two kids. It is brutal but I was full time. I basically knocked everything else in my life on the head to focus on teaching, including my garden! Just about managed to mow the lawn occasionally! Your order of priority needs to be your family but I would be surprised if you had much spare time for anything else. Just a thought.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I finished my PGCE this year. I am not NQT. I have two kids. It is brutal but I was full time. I basically knocked everything else in my life on the head to focus on teaching, including my garden! Just about managed to mow the lawn occasionally! Your order of priority needs to be your family but I would be surprised if you had much spare time for anything else. Just a thought.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the insight. I've been invited to interview on the part time course as well now, which I think would be better in the long run. Did you still get family time?

ReputationRep:
    How did your interview go today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlin78)
    How did your interview go today?
    They rescheduled it til wed 😕 But now I have interviews wed, thurs and fri!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.