Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I bought any car when I was 17 Toyota aygo 2012 for £4500 from the official Toyota garage when I passed my test in May. I have 1 year warantee and I’ve had so problems with it. First the Bluetooth, then the car sensors, then the brake pads, then the fog lights, the main thing the clutch went when I was driving in the motorway!!! Anyways, they have replaced everything under warranty for free ovbiously and I am now hearing a screeching sound that seems to be something to do with the fan. Anyways, I just wanted to know my consumer rights. Due to having so many problems would I be allowed to ask them to give my money back or get another car from them as I’m not happy with all these issues I’m having. But before I asked the garage I just wanted to check if I would be eligible. Thanks in advance for any help!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Cars and motoring.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariah2011)
    Hi, so I bought any car when I was 17 Toyota aygo 2012 for £4500 from the official Toyota garage when I passed my test in May. I have 1 year warantee and I’ve had so problems with it. First the Bluetooth, then the car sensors, then the brake pads, then the fog lights, the main thing the clutch went when I was driving in the motorway!!! Anyways, they have replaced everything under warranty for free ovbiously and I am now hearing a screeching sound that seems to be something to do with the fan. Anyways, I just wanted to know my consumer rights. Due to having so many problems would I be allowed to ask them to give my money back or get another car from them as I’m not happy with all these issues I’m having. But before I asked the garage I just wanted to check if I would be eligible. Thanks in advance for any help!
    You can ask, but it's unlikely they'll give you a full refund or change your car.

You have the warranty for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Under Consumer Rights Act 2015, you can request that they fix the problem at the dealerships cost, provided you do it before the 6 months are passed, as the onus is on them to prove that they didn't occur during that period. However, unless the faults persist past that attempted repair, you have neither basis for refund nor replacement.

ReputationRep:
    yes it's to do with something along the lines as fit for purpose? something along the lines of that. if they described it as working perfectly then they lied and falsely sold you an unsafe vehicle which could have caused serious injury or death. try writing a letter to resolve between you and the company and threaten to take it up in small claims court. make sure you have everything recorded e.g receipts invoices communication email everything
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Google it and you should find cases of other and decide from there
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    then the brake pads, then the fog lights
    It's worth noting that if these issues were down to perishables, you were lucky to get them fixed under warranty - if the pads were worn, or the bulbs blew, this is part of typical car maintenance, and something you should be expected to fix when they wear out.

ReputationRep:
    First the Bluetooth, then the car sensors, then the brake pads, then the fog lights, the main thing the clutch went when I was driving in the motorway!!!
    "Bluetooth" is pretty vague, "car sensors" is meaningless in the context of cars, and the remaining list are all things that wear out - I think you'll find that a lot of warranties actually don't cover consumable parts. Without some detail of what actually went wrong, it's hard to know whether you've bought a lemon or you're just experiencing the reality of owning a car...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbojohn)
    yes it's to do with something along the lines as fit for purpose? something along the lines of that. if they described it as working perfectly then they lied and falsely sold you an unsafe vehicle which could have caused serious injury or death. try writing a letter to resolve between you and the company and threaten to take it up in small claims court. make sure you have everything recorded e.g receipts invoices communication email everything
    Please don't give bad advice, small claims is an absolute last resort, and as it stands he has no basis for it, most of the stuff that has failed is perishables, and some of it won't ever be covered by warranty on a new car let alone one that's 5 years old - so the fact that the dealership has insofar repaired it in good faith, he'd lose, and have to pay toyota's court costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    "Bluetooth" is pretty vague, "car sensors" is meaningless in the context of cars, and the remaining list are all things that wear out - I think you'll find that a lot of warranties actually don't cover consumable parts. Without some detail of what actually went wrong, it's hard to know whether you've bought a lemon or you're just experiencing the reality of owning a car...
    Indeed. Most dealerships would probably just say these things are wear and tear. I don't think the OP will be able to return the car unless it has a serious mechanical issue which was present or developing at the point of sale.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a go, you have nothing to lose. I doubt they will give you your money back, especially since you've had it for 6 months. Worst case scenario they say no and you learn that an aygo wasn't a great choice.

Second hand, this is why I never buy used. You rarely know if what you buy is a P.O.S or a great bargain until its too late.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Laomedeia)
      Second hand, this is why I never buy used. You rarely know if what you buy is a P.O.S or a great bargain until its too late.
      Disagree.

If you do your research (including on the seller) then identifying and buying a good used motor isn't too hard. If you want extra peace of mind then bring a friend (preferably a mechanic) or pay for a mechanic to have a look over one you're interested in. Also new cars can also come with faults.

Definitely beats getting pumped by depreciation over the first couple of years on new cars.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.