Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think White privilege exists? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElAshtonio)
    That's simply not the case, if an employer had to chose between two equal people, the only difference between them being the colour of their skin, they will choose the coloured person just to increase workplace diversity.
    There was quite a shocking video about 2 investigative reporters applying for jobs in Bristol. One was Muslim and dressed in that sorta traditional garb and they other was more of your normal lad type. They also applied for housing stuff. It was very clear that the white guy was treated very differently, allowed through application process much faster and even if the Muslim guy went to see a flat first, they would give it to the other guy who saw it second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz254)
    White privilege doesn't exist.

Privilege does exist, but it's down to class, not race.

Go say white privilege is real to a white family living in a council estate on benefits.

It has nothing to do with race. It's just a term others use to put the blame for their problems on.
    I'm gona presume that you've never been mainland china where virtually everyone is white and black and brown people are scarce. I've read stories where they'd (chinese) just skip past the black man's CV if there are white candidates available.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely still exists.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it exists to a certain extent. There are different kinds of privilege.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ofcourse it exists.

but it being called 'white privallige' mis identifies the problem quite considerably.

Its better labled 'similarity bias'.

In any society (any. white, black, old, new, etc) there is a bias towards those who are similar to those in power.

This does not mean the majority, as throughout history it was a minority who held power.. but anyone who matches the powerful, will intern gain benefit.

Currently in western countries those in power are white western individuals.. so there is a natrual bias towards other white western individuals within society.. Within other societies the bias is different. Where I am currently in east asia the bias is towards east asians first.

Its worth noting this can be observed in almost any power-structure, from companies to volentary organisations to many more... it has nothing inherently to do with the color of your skin, or your gender. Groups that are female lead are equally as female biased, as male groups are male biased, black goverments tend to favour black people, as white goverments favour white people..

(Its also prevliant within modern socially-just groups.. who base their form of identity on politics rather then race/ethnicity.. so whilst they may accept all races.. there is a huge bias/privileged to identifying with the right political ideas)

-- So how do you beat this? The problem for me is I have never yet seen a demonstration of it being completly eradicated. We have come a long way and we have reduced the effects of similarity-bias a lot.. but they still exist, even if on a micro level. I am not sure we can ever truly remove it from our society, which is one of my largest problems with multicultural societies, there will always be a disparity/unfair bias towards those in power. Maybe there is a solution we do not know yet.

ReputationRep:
    does white privilege exist? is water wet? hmm......

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!
    It's like black people assume that white people are all super rich and middle class, my parents both work minimum wage jobs, I don't think they have "White Privilege"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skuuuudent)
    Actualllyyyyyyy, Let's start with.....white people given jobs over black people.
    What do you mean "white people given jobs over black people"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    There was quite a shocking video about 2 investigative reporters applying for jobs in Bristol. One was Muslim and dressed in that sorta traditional garb and they other was more of your normal lad type. They also applied for housing stuff. It was very clear that the white guy was treated very differently, allowed through application process much faster and even if the Muslim guy went to see a flat first, they would give it to the other guy who saw it second.
    By normal lad type I’m guessing you mean turned up dressed appropriately for the job, let’s say a Muslim guy in a suit turns up and it is against a white guy in a tracksuit do you think that would be replicated?

ReputationRep:
    White privilege does not exist any more.

Discrimination laws, quotas and PC culture mean getting a job and getting into uni can be *slightly* easier if you're an ethnic minority.
    Obviously the UK is 87% white so there will be a lot more white people in better uni's/job roles, but this is proportionate.

What is disproportionate is the amount of people who have some form of old money and subsequently are privately educated. Shown by a stupidly disproportionate % in the top uni's (7% of population compared with 60% in uni's) who go on to take many 'top jobs'.

Therefore privilege exists and is still thriving, although slowly declining. White privilege does not.

P.S. if it makes any different this is written by an ethnic minority.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it does still exist.

ReputationRep:
    How about all the unnecessary shootings of black people by american police compared to the mercy shown to white people in the same circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    The problem with 'white privilege' is that it's basically a stupid concept, which mainly exists to justify the extreme victim complexes certain people have. It's just a way to shout at white people even in the absence of an obvious grievance.

This is not to say that racism never exists or anything like that, and when it does it should be identified and prevented. But the idea that racism is so pervasive that your entire existence is defined by it, and that there is an almost tangible quality embued in white people called 'white privilege', is nonsense. Even worse is the way it is used as a catch-all argument to delegitimise valid points simply because they're made by a white person and, you know, white privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolio333)
    Ok think about it like this, STATISTICALLY speaking, it is proven that a white person has a 40% higher chance of being accepted to oxbridge compared to a POC with even the exact same qualifications and levels overall.

It is STATISTICALLY proven that white people have again a 33% higher chance of gaining a job over a POC purely due to race.

White privilege does exist in most circumstances but again it is not to say that all jobs given to a white person over a black person is because of their race/ethnicity. Some times it can just be due to the persons own merit.
    Out of those that have grades A*A*A*A and above, what proportion is white and what proportion is POC?

When you anwer that, then you can argue if it is or is not justified for Whites to have a 40% higher chance of being accepted at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrMemegood)
    White privilege does not mean that every white person has a perfect life. It just means that there is prejudice and discrimination that people of colour will face at some point in their life that white people will never have to face, or even think about. Obviously there is middle-class privilege, male privilege, having the privilege of being able-bodied and more. But the fact that these other forms of privilege exist doesn't negate the fact that white privilege exists too.
    Why and how do you think people of colour would face prejudice and discrimination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ultimateradman)
    How about all the unnecessary shootings of black people by american police compared to the mercy shown to white people in the same circumstances?
    That is not white privilege.

That is just senseless murder born out of racism and stereotypes, prevalent only in the USA.

White people who fit a negative stereotypes are also shot frequently. Don't make false claims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolio333)
    Interesting point, now tell me who is more privileged, the low income WHITE family living on the council estate, or the low income BLACK family living on the council estate? White privilee isn't to say that if a white person is of a "lower" class compared to the POC, that they will automatically gain more privilege due to being white.

White privilege is simply that, when comparing a white person v black person with similar qualifications, merits and level of understanding in a particular field. 8/10 times the white person then gains privilege because of the colour of their skin as the employer no longer has any other attributes to compare. White privilege is real, my friend.
    If you look at the statics the children of low income Black family living on the same council estate as a white family are more likely to go university. Only 1/20 white working class boys go to university and only 1/40 finish there degree.

Also what wrong with living on a council estate I white working class and grown up on a rough council estate and still live there. i had a greet childhood there was real community that look after each other.

ReputationRep:
    Privilege sure exists, most people are privileged in one way or another. But the term "white privilege" is racism in its purest form. It's collectively held guilt based on skin colour. There's no way that isn't racism. It's a dangerous idea.

ReputationRep:
    No shortage of privileged fat wogs in Middlesex/SW Herts. Spending Daddys credit card (doctor) on whoring in commercial night clubs.

ReputationRep:
    why do some people think that the products of systemic racism just vanish instantly? the products of those systems will linger for longer than the system itself. "white privilege" may not be entirely an intentional issue but it can still exist.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.