Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think White privilege exists? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolio333)
    Interesting point, now tell me who is more privileged, the low income WHITE family living on the council estate, or the low income BLACK family living on the council estate? White privilee isn't to say that if a white person is of a "lower" class compared to the POC, that they will automatically gain more privilege due to being white.

White privilege is simply that, when comparing a white person v black person with similar qualifications, merits and level of understanding in a particular field. 8/10 times the white person then gains privilege because of the colour of their skin as the employer no longer has any other attributes to compare. White privilege is real, my friend.
    If you look at the statics the children of low income Black family living on the same council estate as a white family are more likely to go university. Only 1/20 white working class boys go to university and only 1/40 finish there degree.

Also what wrong with living on a council estate I white working class and grown up on a rough council estate and still live there. i had a greet childhood there was real community that look after each other.

ReputationRep:
    Privilege sure exists, most people are privileged in one way or another. But the term "white privilege" is racism in its purest form. It's collectively held guilt based on skin colour. There's no way that isn't racism. It's a dangerous idea.

ReputationRep:
    No shortage of privileged fat wogs in Middlesex/SW Herts. Spending Daddys credit card (doctor) on whoring in commercial night clubs.

ReputationRep:
    why do some people think that the products of systemic racism just vanish instantly? the products of those systems will linger for longer than the system itself. "white privilege" may not be entirely an intentional issue but it can still exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetoebeans)
    why do some people think that the products of systemic racism just vanish instantly? the products of those systems will linger for longer than the system itself. "white privilege" may not be entirely an intentional issue but it can still exist.
    That assumes that blacks should even be in the country anyway. China, Japan etc wouldn't let them in period. One could argue that these minorities have a somewhat privileged existence in Britain compared with many other industrialised nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasi UK)
    That assumes that blacks should even be in the country anyway. China, Japan etc wouldn't let them in period. One could argue that these minorities have a somewhat privileged existence in Britain compared with many other industrialised nations.
    Well I mean it could also be applied to international policies like migration but w/e.

Also there's plenty of evidence to suggest that they don't live a "privileged existence", an example being the result of a combination of restrictive covenants, redlining, and predatory lending which resulted in POCs from being relegated to bad quality housing in Baltimore, many of which contained lead paint. This lead paint then peeled off in later years, and since it had a sweet flavour, was eaten by many children living in those buildings (which were mostly POC), leading to permanent brain damage. This, as well as shark lawyers which basically steal most of their structured settlements (which allows them to have income paid by a monthly/weekly basis since they're unable to work), was a factor that contributed in Freddy Gray's death and the resulting riots. Would you consider that a "privileged existence"?

it's almost as though you completely missed the point of my post tho. like entirely. like i might have said literally anything else and you would still post that. like it's a complete departure from my point it could be applies to virtually anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetoebeans)
    Well I mean it could also be applied to international policies like migration but w/e.

Also there's plenty of evidence to suggest that they don't live a "privileged existence", an example being the result of a combination of restrictive covenants, redlining, and predatory lending which resulted in POCs from being relegated to bad quality housing in Baltimore, many of which contained lead paint. This lead paint then peeled off in later years, and since it had a sweet flavour, was eaten by many children living in those buildings (which were mostly POC), leading to permanent brain damage. This, as well as shark lawyers which basically steal most of their structured settlements (which allows them to have income paid by a monthly/weekly basis since they're unable to work), was a factor that contributed in Freddy Gray's death and the resulting riots. Would you consider that a "privileged existence"?

it's almost as though you completely missed the point of my post tho. like entirely. like i might have said literally anything else and you would still post that. like it's a complete departure from my point it could be applies to virtually anything else.
    Tbh it sounds like you may have missed the point of the OP.

All races suffer poor housing quality etc...In northern Britain the majority of the deprived areas are exclusively white. As for the US the multiracial experiment has actually done well to last this long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasi UK)
    Tbh it sounds like you may have missed the point of the OP.

All races suffer poor housing quality etc...In northern Britain the majority of the deprived are exclusively white. As for the US the multiracial experiment has actually done well to last this long.
    tbh i think you actually didn't read my post: the restrictive covenants, redlining, and predatory lending targeted non-white individuals and each practise was a result of the former (i.e. restrictive covenants lead to redlining, redlining lead to predatory lending). this was an act that was designed to trap POCs.

also, it makes sense for people in northern Britain to be the majority of the deprived, because they are the majority, by a massive amount.

ReputationRep:
    It obviously doesn’t exist as much as it once did, but I think it still does exist to a certain extent.

For example studies have shown that you’re more likely to be invited to a job interview if you have a white sounding name, even when all other elements of the application are the same.

More generally, being white seems to be considered the “normal, default state” whereas being anything else is considered a deviation from that. It’s mostly at an unconscious level, but the effects of it are still visible in society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.