Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saudi Arabia intercepts ballistic missile over its capital Watch

https://news.sky.com/story/ballistic...media-11113802

ReputationRep:
    Pity it didn't hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Pity it didn't hit.
    Yeah so sad that thousands of innocent people didn't die, what a great person you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yeah so sad that thousands of innocent people didn't die, what a great person you are
    You reap what you sow. They try and commit genocide in Yemen and are surprised when they fire a missile back? Get real.
    Its rather dubious one potty missile would kill 'thousands'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    You reap what you sow. They try and commit genocide in Yemen and are surprised when they fire a missile back? Get real.
    Who's "they"? The Saudi people living in riyadh are innocent and in no way responsible for whatever actions their government takes, especially since it is not a democratic country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    You can't judge the civilians for the actions of the government lmfao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pidge Gunderson)
    You can't judge the civilians for the actions of the government lmfao.
    Yet people still do, isnt that strange? I can judge them for arming and funding the terror groups in yemen and elsewhere though...
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Who's "they"? The Saudi people living in riyadh are innocent and in no way responsible for whatever actions their government takes, especially since it is not a democratic country
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when you invade Yemen (the poorest country in the region) and cause the largest humanitarian crisis in the world whilst committing war crimes.

Videos show that Saudis fired 5 US-made Patriot interceptors to intercept the missile from Yemen. Next time all the Houthis have to do is fire 2-3+ simultaneously and Saudi will be in real trouble.

Also, dozens of Princes etc have been arrested (including Saudi's richest man) - response to a potential coup?

ReputationRep:
    Big deal if the Houthis have really managed to fire off one of these.

ReputationRep:
    Impressive

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the American Patriot Missile System is actually working as advertised is certainly one positive to take from this. Historically, its not been one of most reliable systems ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    The fact that the American Patriot Missile System is actually working as advertised is certainly one positive to take from this. Historically, its not been one of most reliable systems ever.
    Even if it did intercept it successfully (only Saudi state media is saying that), (i) it was a very rudimentary missile, and (ii) it required 5 interceptors to be fired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    Even if it did intercept it successfully (only Saudi state media is saying that), (i) it was a very rudimentary missile, and (ii) it required 5 interceptors to be fired.
    Do you have a source for the 5 missile quote? I can't see anything via a (rather quick) Google search that says the number of Patriots fired. But it's not a particular surprise that it's not a one-to-one kill. Until directed energy weapons become more effective then it's going to cost more to shoot down a missile than it will to fire one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Do you have a source for the 5 missile quote? I can't see anything via a (rather quick) Google search that says the number of Patriots fired. But it's not a particular surprise that it's not a one-to-one kill. Until directed energy weapons become more effective then it's going to cost more to shoot down a missile than it will to fire one.
    There's a video on Twitter showing the interceptors being launched and a brief analysis:

https://twitter.com/MissileDefAdv/st...35535372861440

All the Houthis have to do is fire a few more at the same time and then we'd see how good the Patriot system really is (I believe not very)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Pity it didn't hit.
    wtf man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    This is what happens when you invade Yemen (the poorest country in the region) and cause the largest humanitarian crisis in the world whilst committing Clearing crimes.

Videos show that Saudis fired 5 US-made Patriot interceptors to intercept the missile from Yemen. Next time all the Houthis have to do is fire 2-3+ simultaneously and Saudi will be in real trouble.

Also, dozens of Princes etc have been arrested (including Saudi's richest man) - response to a potential coup?
    Clearing the way for bin Salman and possibly reforms

https://youtu.be/UzTBev_svWI

https://youtu.be/DZqyYVF6fIE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basicallyshrek)
    wtf man
    ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I detest the Saudi government and understand why the Houthis are fighting back but attacks on civilians should not be condoned. There are people who think that we deserve it when there are terror attacks in this country due to the actions of our government. Do you think they're right?

ReputationRep:
    Good practice for the US systems should they need to knock North Korean ones out of the sky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eunomia)
    I detest the Saudi government and understand why the Houthis are fighting back but attacks on civilians should not be condoned. There are people who think that we deserve it when there are terror attacks in this country due to the actions of our government. Do you think they're right?
    I make no comment on the validity of said claims suffice i can see the rational for their thoughts.

I feel people should bare in mind that the Saudis are actively and deliberately targeting civilians in a war that has been described as a genocide. The houthis are in every single way at a disadvantage in this war so they can hardly be expected to play 'honorably' and to think they should is, with all due respect, cute.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.