Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Found myself on Getty images, can i get money from it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend found an image of me and him on Getty Images. It was a picture of us at Comic Con dressed up as generic thugs. Someone else there took the picture and must have sold it to Getty. Is there any way we could claim any of the money that is earned from the picture, and how can I prove to them it's us and we should get some money from it?
    Thanks!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4keen04)
    My friend found an image of me and him on Getty Images. It was a picture of us at Comic Con dressed up as generic thugs. Someone else there took the picture and must have sold it to Getty. Is there any way we could claim any of the money that is earned from the picture, and how can I prove to them it's us and we should get some money from it?
    Thanks!
    It was a photo taken in public, no form of contract was signed, and you are not the owner of the rights to the photo. You don't really have any claim on compensation really.

ReputationRep:
    But I read somewhere that since I dressed up as someone else and it's not a photo of me being me, then I could get copyright for it or something like that, because I did the work to dress as up the character that people are buying photos of, all the credit can't go to the photographer even though they got it out there. It's not just a simple case of a photo being taken in public randomly. If I didn't dress up as that character the photographer wouldn't be making any money from me, hence I part of the credit should go to me, just like part of the credit goes to the photographer for taking the picture.

ReputationRep:
    But I read somewhere that since I dressed up as someone else and it's not a photo of me being me, then I could get copyright for it or something like that, because I did the work to dress as up the character that people are buying photos of, all the credit can't go to the photographer even though they got it out there. It's not just a simple case of a photo being taken in public randomly. If I didn't dress up as that character the photographer wouldn't be making any money from me, hence I part of the credit should go to me, just like part of the credit goes to the photographer for taking the picture.
    If you're so sure you can get something from it, why did you ask the question?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I'm just arguing my point to see if there's maybe an expert here who will agree, I have no experience in this. And I dont know how to actually prove that I should get anything to Getty.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure the copyright of the photo goes to the photographer..
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's completely wrong.

Copyright belongs wholly to the owner of the image, aka the person who took it. You allowed your photo to be taken with no written or verbal contract being established for either the rights to the image or right to any share of income from that image, you have no claim on that photographer's intellectual property or the earnings they're making him simply because you are in the picture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.