Turn on thread page Beta

Won a competition need help with what to do with the prize! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys,

A couple weeks ago I filled in a work quiz and forgot about it, earlier this week I got an email saying I had one the top prize - a pair of wireless headphones. I thought they’d just be a pair of cheap-ish headphones and that I could use them with my new iPhone X (since it doesn’t have a headphone jack 😂) However I just got the headphones in the post today and was shocked to find out they retail for nearly £300! I live with my parents as I’m only 16 and have been balancing work with sixth form. I can tell my dad would love the headphones as a Christmas present because he’d use them at work everyday (to block out the annoying people in the office 😂- the headphones have really good noise cancellation) . I don’t know what to do cause as much as it would be good to sell the headphones and get a good amount of cash back (after my iPhone purchase 😅) or keep them to use myself. I would love to give them to my dad but I don’t know whether I can let them go happily! I don’t know if I’m just being greedy / selfish here but it kinda feels like I’ve earnt the prize I won from work and I don’t know if I have it in me to just give them away! Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Keep them

ReputationRep:
    I think you should sell them honestly- you won them ! It would be a nice gesture but I think that no dad would be expecting a £300 gift from a 16 year old- you could get another present which is just as good but have money left over for yourself too.

ReputationRep:
    Sell them, and buy your dad a present with the money

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, it’s just that my dad has been hinting that he wanted some new Bluetooth headphones this Christmas. I’ve also talked to my mum and she said he would really love them and even offered to give me £100 for the headphones so I could give them to him. I’m really stuck with this decision!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply, I’ve added a couple more details below!
    (Original post by niamh787)
    I think you should sell them honestly- you won them ! It would be a nice gesture but I think that no dad would be expecting a £300 gift from a 16 year old- you could get another present which is just as good but have money left over for yourself too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymoususer16)
    Thank you for the reply, I’ve added a couple more details below!
    Hmm have you spoken to your mum about it? Would she still give you the £100 knowing you've sold these?

If you would want to go to the trouble of selling them and your mum would still want to give you the £100 pound towards the headphones then I'd still say sell them and use maybe £100 extra on top of the other £100 to get some other headphones, whilst still having £200 yourself. If you wouldn't want to take the £100 from your mum/ she wouldn't want to give it you, then you could still sell them on and buy another pair for like £150-200 whilst keeping a bit of the money for yourself.
    However, if you'd rather not go to the trouble of selling them then I'd just say give them to him. You might not get someone paying £300 even if that's the retail price and it's just easier. You've also saved money anyway- you're spending £0 rather than putting £50-£100 in plus the £100 your mum would be giving.
    So basically it comes down to if you'd want to go to the effort of selling them for a bit of extra money (£50-£150 realistically depending on if your mum is putting money in) but perhaps slightly sacrificing the quality for a cheaper pair (doubt your dad would care, however) or just not doing any of that and just giving him slightly better quality headphones?

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh787)
    Hmm have you spoken to your mum about it? Would she still give you the £100 knowing you've sold these?

If you would want to go to the trouble of selling them and your mum would still want to give you the £100 pound towards the headphones then I'd still say sell them and use maybe £100 extra on top of the other £100 to get some other headphones, whilst still having £200 yourself. If you wouldn't want to take the £100 from your mum/ she wouldn't want to give it you, then you could still sell them on and buy another pair for like £150-200 whilst keeping a bit of the money for yourself.
    However, if you'd rather not go to the trouble of selling them then I'd just say give them to him. You might not get someone paying £300 even if that's the retail price and it's just easier. You've also saved money anyway- you're spending £0 rather than putting £50-£100 in plus the £100 your mum would be giving.
    So basically it comes down to if you'd want to go to the effort of selling them for a bit of extra money (£50-£150 realistically depending on if your mum is putting money in) but perhaps slightly sacrificing the quality for a cheaper pair (doubt your dad would care, however) or just not doing any of that and just giving him slightly better quality headphones?

All the best!
    Thank you that’s really helpful, I guess it might be a sign that my dad was looking for some noise cancelling headphones at the exact time I got a pair for free. I think I’ll probably give them to him as he deserves them and needs them more than I do p.s the reason why he would need the more expensive headphones is that they have active noise cancellation (only available on high end headphones) which will allow him to listen to quite music in the office and get on with his work in peace!

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on winning...give them to your dad, he deserves it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.