Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    I’m going for Cambridge because I prefer its engineering course. Also, why do you only consider my grades ‘decent’?
    I said I thought your grades so far were very good, however if you don't do so well at AS (i.e. achieve only 'decent' grades) then you might want to consider applying to Oxford instead for the reasons I mentioned. I'm surprised that wasn't clear, but then again you did miss the A* in english lit :-p

edit: I've now seen the edit you made to your original response. I'm sure Cambridge wouldn't think ill of you for wanting to resit the exams where you got As, but only do it if you are *sure* you will be able to improve your grade and also if you are confident that it will not hinder your A level preparation.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great, because I’m doing 2 extra GCSE’s this year. Fingers crossed I get A*’s in them.
    I don't think they'll boost your chances of getting into Oxbridge by 3%, but well done on your work ethic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovelySear)
    I said I thought your grades so far were very good, however if you don't do so well at AS (i.e. achieve only 'decent' grades) then you might want to consider applying to Oxford instead for the reasons I mentioned. I'm surprised that wasn't clear, but then again you did miss the A* in english lit :-p
    That last line was trash, I got a 9^ (9 distinction) on English Language. And I am definitely aiming for top grades at AS.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedboutlife)
    I don't think they'll boost your chances of getting into Oxbridge by 3%, but well done on your work ethic.
    That probably cost me my extra A-stars (I spent soooo much time on coursework) but I’m just relieved I did better than expected in the important subjects I.e. maths, which I was worried I would get an 8 in.

ReputationRep:
    That last line was trash, I got a 9^ (9 distinction) on English Language.
    That's pretty impressive given that you use commas instead of full stops to divide your sentences.

And I am definitely aiming for top grades at AS.[/QUOTE]

Very nice.

ReputationRep:
    Very nice.
    I take liberties outside of the exam hall. My posh tendencies remain there.

ReputationRep:

edit: I've now seen the edit you made to your original response. I'm sure Cambridge wouldn't think ill of you for wanting to resit the exams where you got As, but only do it if you are *sure* you will be able to improve your grade and also if you are confident that it will not hinder your A level preparation.
    Thanks. I’m currently resitting some of my school end of topic tests from the first half term, because it went truly awfully. I swapped around my options so many times I’ve spent most of my study time catching up. Depending on how those tests go and how comfortable I am with my knowledge so far by Christmas, I will decide whether to resit the chemistry (and, but very unlikely, RE and English lit). I have until the 15th of December (late entry deadline) to make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I’m currently resitting some of my school end of topic tests from the first half term, because it went truly awfully. I swapped around my options so many times I’ve spent most of my study time catching up. Depending on how those tests go and how comfortable I am with my knowledge so far by Christmas, I will decide whether to resit the chemistry (and, but very unlikely, RE and English lit). I have until the 15th of December (late entry deadline) to make a decision.
    I applied to Cambridge for NatSci (physics) last year and was rejected without interview or entrance test. I had 8A* and 4As at GSCE but some of my AS percentages were fairly mediocre even though I got As in all of them (physics, double maths, economics, marine science and french). Anyway, I was so pissed off that I rejected my offer from St Andrews and decided to reapply to Oxford for economics and management, then changed my mind and went for Materials science instead. I was accepted and I'm now a drunk, sick and sleep-deprived fresher who should really get to bed right this instant.

But yeah, I'd say it's probably not worth doing the retakes on balance having thought it over, and I'd suggest you put all your effort into getting super high UMS percentages in all your AS levels because it DOES MATTER A LOT. goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Cambridge for NatSci (physics) last year and was rejected without interview or entrance test. I had 8A* and 4As at GSCE but some of my AS percentages were fairly mediocre even though I got As in all of them (physics, double maths, economics, marine science and french). Anyway, I was so pissed off that I rejected my offer from St Andrews and decided to reapply to Oxford for economics and management, then changed my mind and went for Materials science instead. I was accepted and I'm now a drunk, sick and sleep-deprived fresher who should really get to bed right this instant.

But yeah, I'd say it's probably not worth doing the retakes on balance having thought it over, and I'd suggest you put all your effort into getting super high UMS percentages in all your AS levels because it DOES MATTER A LOT. goodnight.
    Goodnight. And well done on your Oxford acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    Goodnight. And well done on your Oxford acceptance.
    Thank you kindly my good sir
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    There's no UMS for most AS-levels now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great, because I’m doing 2 extra GCSE’s this year.
    Why?

What A-levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Why?

What A-levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry.

I self teach electronics but I don’t need to start doing much until Year 13 as its linear.

I’m likely applying for General Engineering at Cambridge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry.

I self teach electronics but I don’t need to start doing much until Year 13 as its linear.

I’m likely applying for General Engineering at Cambridge.
    And the extra GCSEs?

You know you need 3 A-levels not 5, right?

ReputationRep:
    And the extra GCSEs?

You know you need 3 A-levels not 5, right?
    Yes I know. I’m not the only one doing electronics as a 5th.

ReputationRep:
    Neither Cambridge or Oxford are going to care about whether your are 10 a*s or 20 a*s, doing more and resitting other is just down to your own pride. They are also not going to care if you do 5 A levels or 3, again it's just down to how much time you have and how much you want to be able to brag about it.

They will care about your entry exams and they will care about your interview performance, my sisters friend from school last year ended up with no offer from Cambridge despite having 4 A* A levels
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know. I’m not the only one doing electronics as a 5th.

At a time when you will need to ensure you do very well in your four "main" subjects. And, unlike previously with modular AS/A-levels, you will have a Y13 where you will be revising and examined on 2 full years of work.

I'd really caution you to think again.

If these things interest you then great, but you don't need the added stress of sitting formal exams in them. Consider them to be super-curriculars, not unnecessary qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At a time when you will need to ensure you do very well in your four "main" subjects. And, unlike previously with modular AS/A-levels, you will have a Y13 where you will be revising and examined on 2 full years of work.

I'd really caution you to think again.

If these things interest you then great, but you don't need the added stress of sitting formal exams in them. Consider them to be super-curriculars, not unnecessary qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I consider Electronics super curricular, like the languages. I’m not seeking free qualifications, though I do want to do well on them in time for my application. I’m doing these because they’re activities that interest me.

ReputationRep:
    I got 10 A*s and 3 A's (2 A's and a 7 in Chem, RE and Eng Lit) at GCSE. All of the A's / 7's were within 6 UMS of the next highest grade, the equivalent of an A*. I was thinking of resitting them to get the A* (or 9) grade (likely in January as a late entry). However I'm also set on applying for Oxbridge (likely Cambridge) next year, so I wanted to ask, how do top Unis such as the ones I mentioned look at GCSE resits if the aim is to perfect what would otherwise be considered a "good" result? I am obviously prepared to do an intensive run-through of what I learnt over Christmas in order to ensure I get top marks. Would they frown upon it and disadvantage me in the application process, or would they ignore the fact I resat the exam and just look at the final grades I got?

Note - in Both Eng Lit and Chem, one of my exams was a really weak B while the rest were A* results, so it wasn't an across-the-board bad performance, but more of an anomalous one in a part of the subject. My RE had 2 A* exams and 2 very-near A* grades, which averaged out to an A. I was also predicted A*'s / 8 in all 3, so I underperformed in them according to my school.
    Your grades r great! There is no need to resist if I am honest with you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.