Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm currently in the process of applying to universities, and I would like to study physics. I know what kind of stuff to include, the only issue is I don't know how to write it without it seeming like I'm listing off everything I've ever done...

And how are you supposed to start/conclude a personal statement?! I've spent weeks trying to figure out how! I was thinking of starting with one of my favourite quotes to add a bit of humour (“Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” -Richard Feynman), but I'm not sure if it will go down well with the admissions tutor.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even started mine. I know how to write a good personal statement but depending on which university and course you're applying to, should I help the competition?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The Feynman quote is a little cliche tbh...also starting with a quote is a bit gauche.

Your PS is not so important for STEM subjects compared to getting good grades in the relevant subjects.

Just write about things you enjoyed learning about, and things you look forward to learning more about in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroStudent101)
    I haven't even started mine. I know how to write a good personal statement but depending on which university and course you're applying to, should I help the competition?
    I'm applying to the University of Birmingham for physics. Helping the competition would be very much appreciated here. :banana2:

ReputationRep:
    What are your 5 favourite things about physics that make your brain hurt but fascinate you at the same time? And that you want to fin....... I've said too much.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    In Scotland at least universities keep recommending your PS to be >50-75% academic knowledge. Talk about books you've read, articles you've found interesting etc. And don't include cliche quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroStudent101)
    What are your 5 favourite things about physics that make your brain hurt but fascinate you at the same time? And that you want to fin....... I've said too much.
    I realise what you've risked here. And I want to thank you for it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cakeboi)
    Hi! I'm currently in the process of applying to universities, and I would like to study physics. I know what kind of stuff to include, the only issue is I don't know how to write it without it seeming like I'm listing off everything I've ever done...

And how are you supposed to start/conclude a personal statement?! I've spent weeks trying to figure out how! I was thinking of starting with one of my favourite quotes to add a bit of humour (“Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” -Richard Feynman), but I'm not sure if it will go down well with the admissions tutor.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated. :cry:
    Firstly, don't use that quote. Not only is it cliche but it also tells them absolutely nothing about your personal motivation to study physics. If you include a quote (a lot of people say not to, although I did) then make sure there is actually a reason for using it.

Secondly, watch this video. It's excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Firstly, don't use that quote. Not only is it cliche but it also tells them absolutely nothing about your personal motivation to study physics. If you include a quote (a lot of people say not to, although I did) then make sure there is actually a reason for using it.

Secondly, watch this video. It's excellent.
    That video was very helpful, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Your PS is not so important for STEM subjects compared to getting good grades in the relevant subjects.
    OP already missed Oxbridge application date, so I'm assuming he's not applying there. So TBH just like you said, it will be other factors that decide whether he gets an offer and it might be that they give a large number of offers and a low proportion of people actually meet it (e.g. maths) due to high requirements.

To OP, make sure you actually talk about why you want to study Physics, and talk about Physics. Don't go off on a tangent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.