Can I say the "N-word" when singing/rapping? Watch

angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I don't really see why I wouldn't - never seen a black artist opposed to it -

and it really kills the fun if I couldn't.

Btw I mean rapping/singing along to other raps - not writing my own and using racial slurs in them.
Castra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by okayjenn)
Nope
why though?

out of curiosity- guessing your not black?
Castra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by angelike1)
why though?

out of curiosity- guessing your not black?
It’s a word that was used by caucasian slave owners and their families to dehumanise an entire race of people.
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by okayjenn)
It’s a word that was used by caucasian slave owners and their families to dehumanise an entire race of people.
but I aint caucasian - and I'm not tryna dehumanise anyone - I'm just singing along
username2406123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Use it if you want. If black people don't want to hear it then they shouldn't mindlessly support music that normalises it. So I'd feel dumb to get angry.
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Salt Queen)
Use it if you want. If black people don't want to hear it then they shouldn't mindlessly support music that normalises it. So I'd feel dumb to get angry.
Yeah I know what you mean but I wouldnt use it in front of offended black people

It's just a lot of non-blacks would also be offended and don't know if I can in front of them
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've obviously said it before and you clearly think it's ok to say it so why make this thread ? To make us angry?
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emerald777O)
You've obviously said it before and you clearly think it's ok to say it so why make this thread ? To make us angry?
I've never said it - well publicly anyway.

Made this thread to know why I can/cannot say it.
username2406123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
but I aint caucasian - and I'm not tryna dehumanise anyone - I'm just singing along
What are you
ManLike007
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Btw I mean rapping/singing along to other raps - not writing my own and using racial slurs in them.
Honestly I'd recommend you to watch this video, it's 3 minutes, short video and an eye opener. The last minute of this video answers your question.

username3590460
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've never said it - well publicly anyway.

Made this thread to know why I can/cannot say it.
So... you have. its 2017, do you know how many people have discussed this? How many youtube videos there are? Explaining why non black peoples should not say the n word ugh.
angelike1
Rep:
?
What are you
South Asian
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ManLike007)
Honestly I'd recommend you to watch this video, it's 3 minutes, short video and an eye opener. The last minute of this video answers your question.

To answer his question at the end I want to use it when I'm jamming to a song - its just a bit weird when I have to substitute it with the word neighbor or hum whenever it comes up in (pretty much every) line.
username2406123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
South Asian
Well I'm the last person to give a **** so do you ❤
eden3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Lmao of course you can, I do it all the time and I'm far from black

they're just lyrics, the context is obviously not racial hatred

however I have some black friends who get upset if I say it whilst rapping to lyrics so out of respect I don't do it around them
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by eden3)
Lmao of course you can, I do it all the time and I'm far from black

they're just lyrics, the context is obviously not racial hatred

however I have some black friends who get upset if I say it whilst rapping to lyrics so out of respect I don't do it around them
what if it's your non-black friends who get upset?
username2406123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To answer his question at the end I want to use it when I'm jamming to a song - its just a bit weird when I have to substitute it with the word neighbor or hum whenever it comes up in (pretty much every) line.
Exactly. that's the problem. the lyrics. tempting people to say it and why though?? Then people have the nerve to get angry when a non black person says it to sound cool. Lmao they better get the **** away from me with that. So stupid. And as Akala said in that video: Jewish people own the rap industry. Not black people. The real "ugh" is black rappers not you.

Anyway.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
username3590460
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Exactly. that's the problem. the lyrics. tempting people to say it and why though?? Then people have the nerve to get angry when a non black person says it to sound cool. Lmao they better get the **** away from me with that. So stupid. And as Akala said in that video: Jewish people own the rap industry. Not black people. The real "ugh" is black rappers not you.

Anyway.
Black peoples shouldn't be saying the n word too because they're basically normalising it but why are you trying to make them feel comfortable with saying the word? It's not that tempting to say the word.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads