Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I say the "N-word" when singing/rapping? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Should be on?
    no. You'd go to privacy settings...then enable pms for everyone. 😶

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the issue when it's in the actual song. You're basically just quoting whatever the dude said.

ReputationRep:
    No, you should not say the N word if you are not black, whether in conventional speech or during your most fire rendition of a Kanye verse. There is a lot of history tied up in the N word as it was once used in the enslavement of African Americans to dehumanise them. Yes it is being normalised through pop culture however i'd like to point out that there are no non-black rappers who can comfortably say that word (and not get scores of outrage from their listeners) and even when *black* rappers use it, its used as a term of endearment in an effort to reclaim the word.

Now i'm sure you're not racist and have the best intentions but wanting to say the one word that you're asked to not say by the black community just doesn't look good man. Ultimately no one can control what you can and cant say, however you cannot control the reactions of those around you when you do say inflammatory words. So I guess its just safer and cleaner to just hold your tongue...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I don't see the issue when it's in the actual song. You're basically just quoting whatever the dude said.
    Prsom

(Original post by Ama Smit)
    No, you should not say the N word if you are not black, whether in conventional speech or during your most fire rendition of a Kanye verse. There is a lot of history tied up in the N word as it was once used in the enslavement of African Americans to dehumanise them. Yes it is being normalised through pop culture however i'd like to point out that there are no non-black rappers who can comfortably say that word (and not get scores of outrage from their listeners) and even when *black* rappers use it, its used as a term of endearment in an effort to reclaim the word.

Now i'm sure you're not racist and have the best intentions but wanting to say the one word that you're asked to not say by the black community just doesn't look good man. Ultimately no one can control what you can and cant say, however you cannot control the reactions of those around you when you do say inflammatory words. So I guess its just safer and cleaner to just hold your tongue...
    Fair argument.

But I'm pretty sure white rappers wouldn't use it primarily because it would lower their reputation and hence reducing sales. And I don't think black rappers would have much of a problem with white people saying the word in this context.

"Not mad Eminem said ***** coz he my *****" - Nas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)
    Prsom

Fair argument.

But I'm pretty sure white rappers wouldn't use it primarily because it would lower their reputation and hence reducing sales. And I don't think black rappers would have much of a problem with white people saying the word in this context.

"Not mad Eminem said ***** coz he my *****" - Nas

"I drink more liquor to fcuk you up quicker Than you'd wanna fcuk me up for sayin' the word ______ "

- Eminem

song: "criminal"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Say what you want, its called freedom is speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Lmao of course you can, I do it all the time and I'm far from black

they're just lyrics, the context is obviously not racial hatred

however I have some black friends who get upset if I say it whilst rapping to lyrics so out of respect I don't do it around them
    (Original post by eden3)
    Lmao of course you can, I do it all the time and I'm far from black

they're just lyrics, the context is obviously not racial hatred

however I have some black friends who get upset if I say it whilst rapping to lyrics so out of respect I don't do it around them
    Your not black so why are you allowing people to use the word???
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm the ******
    my **** is bigger
    I'm making figures
    and ****ing bishes
    and getting riches

''Honkies in Harlem'' :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leahmitch)
    Your not black so why are you allowing people to use the word???
    1. it's you're*

2. context matters. Artists know damn well people will rap/sing along to their lyrics so tell them to stop using it.

ReputationRep:
    well I'm black and I think you can seing its everywhere in that music
    I'd be a hypocrite if I said no swing I've watched django hatefull 8 laughed my ass off instead of being freaking offended

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=eden3;75110474]1. it's you're*

2. context matters. Artists know damn well people will rap/sing along to their lyrics so tell them to stop using it.[/QUOTE

1. You forgot the full stop but thank you for the correct.

2. Artists who use the n word in their songs are black. Just because they say it it doesn’t mean someone who isn’t black should say it also.

If you are NOT black then don’t say the n word. It’s literally that simple. Why are you trying to justify blatant racism by saying artists use it so I can too. NOOO. I don’t care what context it is said in. The word is highly offensive. Sorry but you reap what you sow. If I heard you saying the n word near me then you better run for the hills.

Sorry if I seem super angry but the word has a really deep meaning to those of colour so I don’t except you to understand my emotions because my ancestors were probably killed and beaten by yours.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is No.
    Just be respectful towards poc and there cause.
    Out of all the words to use why must the ‘n’ word be one of them. Especially considering the plethora of taboo words out there.
    The fact that you called it the ‘n’ word suggests its importance and just how taboo/negative the word is and the connotations behind it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wassup ma neighbour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khateshumans)
    The answer is No.
    Just be respectful towards poc and there cause.
    Out of all the words to use why must the ‘n’ word be one of them. Especially considering the plethora of taboo words out there.
    The fact that you called it the ‘n’ word suggests its importance and just how taboo/negative the word is and the connotations behind it
    i kinda explained why but ok

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Leahmitch;76719060]
    (Original post by eden3)
    1. it's you're*

2. context matters. Artists know damn well people will rap/sing along to their lyrics so tell them to stop using it.[/QUOTE

1. You forgot the full stop but thank you for the correct.

2. Artists who use the n word in their songs are black. Just because they say it it doesn’t mean someone who isn’t black should say it also.

If you are NOT black then don’t say the n word. It’s literally that simple. Why are you trying to justify blatant racism by saying artists use it so I can too. NOOO. I don’t care what context it is said in. The word is highly offensive. Sorry but you reap what you sow. If I heard you saying the n word near me then you better run for the hills.

Sorry if I seem super angry but the word has a really deep meaning to those of colour so I don’t except you to understand my emotions because my ancestors were probably killed and beaten by yours.
    Even blacks should refrain from using the word - they shouldn't be normalizing it

ReputationRep:
    considering its 2018 and most people are giant pussies id probably not say it, the people that get offended are just sensitive retards

ReputationRep:
    replace with "word i cant say"

just make it as awkward as possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.