Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Mature' Student, thinking of quitting Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right. It's 4:30 AM. Still can't sleep. I think the most sensible thing to do in this situation is to vent my self-indulgent woes at strangers on the internet...

So, I'm 23. Moved out of my parents' house at 20, worked abroad (in the USA), did some college, wasted a lot of borrowed money on said college, crashed and burned because I misunderstood the visa system, and ended up moving home at 23 sans qualification or job. Worked in the food industry for six months - hated it, and couldn't afford to move into my own place on the salary. Quit. Freaked out in September because my little bro was going to uni which would leave me home alone and jobless with Mum and Dad. Frantically applied to uni through clearing, got accepted, and moved into Halls a week later.

Because I lived abroad, Student Finance are still scratching their heads over whether I should be allowed funding, so the decision about whether to stay might be made for me if they say no... Still, I keep worrying that I might have made the wrong decision to go to uni.

Pros: No more 'I'm a 23-year-old screw-up living with their parents' misery; I've no idea what I want for a career, so I guess this will give me more 'thinking time'; I'm betting there are some decent opportunities to try different jobs and make connections while at uni; my parents are relieved!; apparently a degree makes you more employable; it's a fresh start, and a chance to make new friends; I might feel better about it once I get a part-time job.

Cons: It's a liberal arts degree, and everyone I know of my age who did an arts degree is now working a similar job to the one I hated (granted, I only know two such people); it feels expensive for eight lectures/seminars a week on things I could read about in a library; I've already done two years of college in the States - it's getting boring and repetitive now (I already know I can write an essay, and have proof!); it depresses me a bit that I'm 'back at square one'; I feel like I'm not contributing anything to society - masochistic as it sounds, I miss work!; it's not like I've officially 'moved out' of my parents' house... because I'm a uni student, they're expecting me back for all the holidays!

I'm not necessarily looking for advice (although if you do have some, PLEASE for heaven's sakes give it!) - just wanted to get that off my chest.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've been lucky to be able to land back in a house with your parents or get into uni on a whim.

you need to really think about what you want in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hh1994)
    Right. It's 4:30 AM. Still can't sleep. I think the most sensible thing to do in this situation is to vent my self-indulgent woes at strangers on the internet...

So, I'm 23. Moved out of my parents' house at 20, worked abroad (in the USA), did some college, wasted a lot of borrowed money on said college, crashed and burned because I misunderstood the visa system, and ended up moving home at 23 sans qualification or job. Worked in the food industry for six months - hated it, and couldn't afford to move into my own place on the salary. Quit. Freaked out in September because my little bro was going to uni which would leave me home alone and jobless with Mum and Dad. Frantically applied to uni through clearing, got accepted, and moved into Halls a week later.

Because I lived abroad, Student Finance are still scratching their heads over whether I should be allowed funding, so the decision about whether to stay might be made for me if they say no... Still, I keep worrying that I might have made the wrong decision to go to uni.

Pros: No more 'I'm a 23-year-old screw-up living with their parents' misery; I've no idea what I want for a career, so I guess this will give me more 'thinking time'; I'm betting there are some decent opportunities to try different jobs and make connections while at uni; my parents are relieved!; apparently a degree makes you more employable; it's a fresh start, and a chance to make new friends; I might feel better about it once I get a part-time job.

Cons: It's a liberal arts degree, and everyone I know of my age who did an arts degree is now working a similar job to the one I hated (granted, I only know two such people); it feels expensive for eight lectures/seminars a week on things I could read about in a library; I've already done two years of college in the States - it's getting boring and repetitive now (I already know I can write an essay, and have proof!); it depresses me a bit that I'm 'back at square one'; I feel like I'm not contributing anything to society - masochistic as it sounds, I miss work!; it's not like I've officially 'moved out' of my parents' house... because I'm a uni student, they're expecting me back for all the holidays!

I'm not necessarily looking for advice (although if you do have some, PLEASE for heaven's sakes give it!) - just wanted to get that off my chest.
    Hi there,

Just to start off, maybe practicing meditation may help you. You seem to be caught up in the myriad of everything and its all spinning around you at a frantic pace. Take a breath, relax, then break down the problem into each of its individual componants (a piece of paper and a pen should surffice) and then do some brainstorming. Give every problem its own heading, then think of 5 solutions to each one. Don't judge what you come up with, just do it. Once that's done, come up with another five. You've then proactively come up with some solutions to your problems. Secondly, it sounds like you're searching for your purpose. My question for you to think about (and write down) is this, what is the one thing you're most passionate about? Forget potential careers for now, what is the one thing you'd happy get up every single day and do for free in a world where money is no objective? Answer that, you have a compass to follow. Once you figured that out, regularly ask yourself this 'Is what I'm doing right now leading me towards where I want to be?' Be honest, if the answer is no then you need to empower yourself to change your circumstances and work towards your goal. This may even be something as simple as reading books or so on, it doesn't matter. The main point is that you are consciously working towards the thing that matters to you and you want to make a life from. Finally, don't make your actions based on what other people may or may not think of you. That's not a path which is true to you, but one of fear.

I hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.