Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have almost £3000 in my account but for quite a while Ive been nervous to spend it. I work and earn £500 a month.I recently bought a MacBook Air on buy now pay later and will soon be paying for car insurance. However I am worrying about not having enough money. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you have brought a cheaper laptop? Given your monthly wages which are quite low, do you think you'll be able to afford both the monthly macbook payments and car insurance? That's something you need to think about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamzB)
    I have almost £3000 in my account but for quite a while Ive been nervous to spend it. I work and earn £500 a month.I recently bought a MacBook Air on buy now pay later and will soon be paying for car insurance. However I am worrying about not having enough money. Any advice?
    That sounds like a good level of savings given your income. However, buying on credit (i.e. debt) could make you feel richer that you actually are, as you now have liabilities. Car insurance is very expensive, so I'd ask yourself if you really need one, given how expensive they are. Ideally, I'd delay that purchase until you really need it, and ensure that you don't need to take-on debt to make it.

I'd buy only what you need and can afford whilst maintaining savings. Think about what you want short and longer term. For example, a few thousand could make university living expenses much less of a worry.

ReputationRep:
    Well this has stressed me out a bit more! There are no monthly repayments for the MacBook I just have to pay for it by this time next year but thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh ok. Lets say you brought the i5 macbook air from argos at around £979. If you put aside £82-ish a month for the next year, you should have saved up enough for the initial price. You'd also have to consider interest (if there is any). Essentially, you should look at your wages and try to figure out whether you can afford to put aside money for the macbook and car insurance each month, with a bit spare for other expenses/ savings. If you can, then great. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CerealKiller.)
    Ohh ok. Lets say you brought the i5 macbook air from argos at around £979. If you put aside £82-ish a month for the next year, you should have saved up enough for the initial price. You'd also have to consider interest (if there is any). Essentially, you should look at your wages and try to figure out whether you can afford to put aside money for the macbook and car insurance each month, with a bit spare for other expenses/ savings. If you can, then great. Go for it.
    Thanks. I bought it for around £950 with no interest as long as I pay within the year. I feel a lot calmer about it now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.