Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The UCAS entry requirements are different than what is listed on University Website. The UCAS website states that the entry requirements are 6's in two HL science subjects with 17 HL subject points and 34 IB points overall.

The University of Southampton Website doesn't specify that I need 6's in two HL science subjects. I am predicted to receive a 6 in HL Biology, a 5 in HL Chemistry and a 6 in HL English Language/Lit. My overall IB predicted grade is a 36 (SL subjects are Business, Mandarin, and Maths). I will meet the overall IB score requirement (of 34) and the HL score requirement of 17, but I am only predicted to receive a 5 in Chemistry.

Which website entry requirements will be used? Do you think I will be rejected?

These are the entry requirements listed on each website:

UCAS website entry requirements are:
    "Pass with overall score of 34 points, with 17 points required at higher level: including 6 points from Biology and 6 points from one further science subject. Science subjects considered include Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Environmental Studies, Geography and Geology."

Southampton's Website entry requirements are:
    "AAB grade A levels or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the University. To include Biology and one subject from Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Maths, Environmental Studies or Physics" An AAB = 34 IB Points
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by mandmdye)
    The UCAS entry requirements are different than what is listed on University Website. The UCAS website states that the entry requirements are 6's in two HL science subjects with 17 HL subject points and 34 IB points overall.

The University of Southampton Website doesn't specify that I need 6's in two HL science subjects. I am predicted to receive a 6 in HL Biology, a 5 in HL Chemistry and a 6 in HL English Language/Lit. My overall IB predicted grade is a 36 (SL subjects are Business, Mandarin, and Maths). I will meet the overall IB score requirement (of 34) and the HL score requirement of 17, but I am only predicted to receive a 5 in Chemistry.

Which website entry requirements will be used? Do you think I will be rejected?

These are the entry requirements listed on each website:

UCAS website entry requirements are:
    "Pass with overall score of 34 points, with 17 points required at higher level: including 6 points from Biology and 6 points from one further science subject. Science subjects considered include Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Environmental Studies, Geography and Geology."

Southampton's Website entry requirements are:
    "AAB grade A levels or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the University. To include Biology and one subject from Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Maths, Environmental Studies or Physics" An AAB = 34 IB Points
    Those don’t contradict. It’s likely that the ucas site is just the specifics about what IB scores they consider equivalent to AAB.

If you’re worried then get in touch with them directly and ask whether they would consider you for an offer with only one 6 HL prediction and whether they often accept applicants with below the entry requirements for that course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Those don’t contradict. It’s likely that the ucas site is just the specifics about what IB scores they consider equivalent to AAB.

If you’re worried then get in touch with them directly and ask whether they would consider you for an offer with only one 6 HL prediction and whether they often accept applicants with below the entry requirements for that course.
    I have two predicted 6s in my HL classes (Biology and English Language/Lit), but the UCAS website states that I will need another 6 in a second HL science course and I am predicted to get a 5 in my HL Chemistry class. The University website doesn't specify that I need a second 6 in a HL ''science" subject.

I understand that an AAB = 665 in IB. I was concerned about the second HL science course having to be a 6.

I was just wondering if anybody else ran into a situation like this and if as "general rule" the UCAS entry requirements supersede what is stated on the University's website or vice versa.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I will wait a bit and see if I get a response from the University. Have a great weekend!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by mandmdye)
    I have two predicted 6s in my HL classes (Biology and English Language/Lit), but the UCAS website states that I will need another 6 in a second HL science course and I am predicted to get a 5 in my HL Chemistry class. The University website doesn't specify that I need a second 6 in a HL ''science" subject.

I understand that an AAB = 665 in IB. I was concerned about the second HL science course having to be a 6.

I was just wondering if anybody else ran into a situation like this and if as "general rule" the UCAS entry requirements supersede what is stated on the University's website or vice versa.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I will wait a bit and see if I get a response from the University. Have a great weekend!
    Their rep account isn’t active on tsr. You need to contact them directly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thank you. I just applied so I will wait to see if I get a response back. If I don't hear back, I will contact them directly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.