Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is my assignment. It’s not a reflective piece. I’m in yr 1 at uni. Finding it hard to know what to include. Apart from the word count we have no other input. I’m struggling. Please help. I’m confused by the Greek philosophers however I feel they should have a part in this assignment
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Right. Go online and look for Plato's Republic and the Apology. Plato writes both in the voice of Socrates. The Apology is good because it explains why (in Plato's opinion, anyway) Socrates was willing to put his life on the line to educate the youth of Athens. The Republic is more about what philosophy teaches us, and how a better understanding of truth, justice etc makes us better members of society.

I guess if I was writing it, I would split the essay into two arguments: :education is good for its own sake', and 'education is good because it is useful'. I would then read up on the main Greek philosophers (Plato, Aristotle, all those guys) and make a note of which side they argued for and why.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve tried and tried to look at it from a philosophical point but I just don’t understand what I read ! I’m so frustrated , it’s nOt through lack of trying I may look
    At it as a tool to increase employability ie transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    I may go from this angle to succeed in economy and to be prepared for adult life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Budgiegirl5)
    I may go from this angle to succeed in economy and to be prepared for adult life
    If you're in education purely to get a job and succeed economically, then why in the heck are you studying the Greek philosophers?

In all seriousness, though - you said you felt you should include a philosophical aspect: is this a philosophy essay? If so, you'll probably need to reference a philosopher somewhere. This will mean finding some philosophers who support your view (of which I can think of none, sorry!), OR -and this might be better - write about why the Greek philosophers' views on education do not apply to modern society, which is more career-based and money-driven.

Either way (unless this is a casual assignment to gauge what the students think of education), your examiner is probably looking for more than just your opinion. If you need help understanding philosophical texts... I know it's not generally recommended, but Wikipedia often gives good summaries. I use it. Helps you figure out where the writer's going if you're struggling to get to grips with the old-fashioned language.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It’s not a philosophical assignment or a reflective piece. It’s just where I ended up :/. So I’m ditching that idea and concentrating on the development of personal growth, citizenship and occupational preparation , how does that sound ???

ReputationRep:
    Anti social crime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Budgiegirl5)
    It’s not a philosophical assignment or a reflective piece. It’s just where I ended up :/. So I’m ditching that idea and concentrating on the development of personal growth, citizenship and occupational preparation , how does that sound ???
    I think both ideas are fine - the only reason I thought the first idea might not work was because I couldn't think of many philosophers you could reference, but it sounds like I got that wrong.

I think your latest idea is better, though, as it covers various reasons why education is important and you could compare/contrast.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Any tips as to how I can compare and contrast these 3 key elements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.