Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I Use UCAS Entry Requirements or the University's Entry Requirements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The UCAS entry requirements are different than what is listed on University Website. The UCAS website states that the entry requirements are 6's in two HL science subjects with 17 HL subject points and 34 IB points overall.

The University of Southampton Website doesn't specify that I need 6's in two HL science subjects. I am predicted to receive a 6 in HL Biology, a 5 in HL Chemistry and a 6 in HL English Language/Lit. My overall IB predicted grade is a 36 (SL subjects are Business, Mandarin, and Maths). I will meet the overall IB score requirement (of 34) and the HL score requirement of 17, but I am only predicted to receive a 5 in Chemistry.

Which website entry requirements will be used? Do you think I will be rejected?

These are the entry requirements listed on each website:

UCAS website entry requirements are:
    "Pass with overall score of 34 points, with 17 points required at higher level: including 6 points from Biology and 6 points from one further science subject. Science subjects considered include Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Environmental Studies, Geography and Geology."

Southampton's Website entry requirements are:
    "AAB grade A levels or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the University. To include Biology and one subject from Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Maths, Environmental Studies or Physics" An AAB = 34 IB Points

ReputationRep:
    ALWAYS go on what the University has on their website. And never try and calculate equivalences yourself. If S'ton doesnt have the IB grades required on the course page, then email and ask. Never 'assume'.

The UCAS website isn't checked/updated - and the University has no obligation to sort out inaccuracies on any Third Party websites, or to consider anyone who applies as a result of any misinformation they might find there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    ALWAYS go on what the University has on their website. And never try and calculate equivalences yourself. If S'ton doesnt have the IB grades required on the course page, then email and ask. Never 'assume'.

The UCAS website isn't checked/updated - and the University has no obligation to sort out inaccuracies on any Third Party websites, or to consider anyone who applies as a result of any misinformation they might find there.
    Thank you for your reply. I prefer what is listed on the University website because I meet those entry requirements. I am just worried and have been searching for an answer and wondered why there was a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandmdye)
    . I am just worried and have been searching for an answer and wondered why there was a difference.
    You will find 'entry requirements'on all sorts of websites, and whilst these websites (UCAS, Whatuni etc) are very useful, you should always double check on the course page on the Uni's own website.

As you have discovered, often 'everything' is not on the other websites, and you may not realise there are specific GCSE requirements, eligibility criteria, or that BBB has to include an essay based subject, or whatever. And saying 'but it stated on the UCAS site that ..' after you have been rejected is not a defence as the Uni does not control the content on that site. Its a bit like saying that you found the information on a piece of paper in the street.

ReputationRep:
    s
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    You will find 'entry requirements'on all sorts of websites, and whilst these websites (UCAS, Whatuni etc) are very useful, you should always double check on the course page on the Uni's own website.

As you have discovered, often 'everything' is not on the other websites, and you may not realise there are specific GCSE requirements, eligibility criteria, or that BBB has to include an essay based subject, or whatever. And saying 'but it stated on the UCAS site that ..' after you have been rejected is not a defence as the Uni does not control the content on that site. Its a bit like saying that you found the information on a piece of paper in the street.
    I was actually looking at the University's website for entry requirements when I applied but was surprised to see the requirements were different (more stringent) on the UCAS website. I am glad to hear that what is posted on the University's website supersedes what is posted on UCAS. Thanks again for your help in easing my worries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.