Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can i stop being incompetent at work? any tips pls thank u Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know my coworkers see me as incredibly incompetent and heres why:

I'll be given clear instructions but I'll have to ask about five questions for each instruction, which obviously wastes peoples time.

The few occassions where I have actually decided to not ask these questions though, I've found I end up making dumb mistakes (which can turn into massive mistakes because of the nature of my job)

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    it depends on how serious your mistakes are, otherwise they'd have fired you by now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've experienced this. I work in a shop and I've been told to go and get something and I ask "okay where from?" and they say some room I've never heard of and so I have to ask "where is that?" and they say it's down the stairs and turn right, but then when I go downstairs there's either no right turn or 3 doors on the right so I have to go back up and ask "where do you mean" in the end they just go "come on I'll get it and show you". It's not your fault if they don't explain things properly. I've had this a lot. I've transferred to another store within the same company, so I know the basics of how to do things, but this store is so much bigger than my one so lots of processes are different, yet they don't seem to understand that. They expect me to know how things work in this new store. I just have to keep saying "sorry we do it differently at my store".

Just keep asking questions. If they get annoyed at you, you could just say "well would you rather I didn't ask and make a huge mistake?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Yeah I've experienced this. I work in a shop and I've been told to go and get something and I ask "okay where from?" and they say some room I've never heard of and so I have to ask "where is that?" and they say it's down the stairs and turn right, but then when I go downstairs there's either no right turn or 3 doors on the right so I have to go back up and ask "where do you mean" in the end they just go "come on I'll get it and show you". It's not your fault if they don't explain things properly. I've had this a lot. I've transferred to another store within the same company, so I know the basics of how to do things, but this store is so much bigger than my one so lots of processes are different, yet they don't seem to understand that. They expect me to know how things work in this new store. I just have to keep saying "sorry we do it differently at my store".

Just keep asking questions. If they get annoyed at you, you could just say "well would you rather I didn't ask and make a huge mistake?"
    lol i love that sassy reply at the end

Yeah that's true, its better to ask once and be done with it then make continuous mistakes lol it's just frustrating being seen as incompetent instead of someone who's just trying to get a grasp of whats going on :/

My workplace is also pretty busy and there's a lot of rushing around and having to be on your feet so it feels like there's no time to even ask questions and it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    it depends on how serious your mistakes are, otherwise they'd have fired you by now.
    lmao well i try really hard to hide the fact that i dont know wtf is going on and try to cover up any mistakes I do make. Thankfully I haven't made any really bad ones so far but the danger is always there. It's so easy to mess up when you're in a really stressful environment, for me anyway D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basicallyshrek)
    lol i love that sassy reply at the end

Yeah that's true, its better to ask once and be done with it then make continuous mistakes lol it's just frustrating being seen as incompetent instead of someone who's just trying to get a grasp of whats going on :/

My workplace is also pretty busy and there's a lot of rushing around and having to be on your feet so it feels like there's no time to even ask questions and it sucks.
    Same here. I've noticed if you just stand around for 5 minutes someone will ask if you're okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Same here. I've noticed if you just stand around for 5 minutes someone will ask if you're okay.
    lool haha i'll keep that in mind next time I'm about to do something stupid..or just feel completely lost

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.