Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey all,
    im currently applying to go to university in 2005. I want to do history and I really liked LSE as a university. But, im not too sure whether this is a good university to go to for this subject. I'm worried that later on employers won't see it as a very worthy course to do at LSE. If you know anything about history at LSE please, please reply soon. Also does any1 know the job prospects for history?????? Are there any?
    thank u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolly_polly)
    hey all,
    im currently applying to go to university in 2005. I want to do history and I really liked LSE as a university. But, im not too sure whether this is a good university to go to for this subject. I'm worried that later on employers won't see it as a very worthy course to do at LSE. If you know anything about history at LSE please, please reply soon. Also does any1 know the job prospects for history?????? Are there any?
    thank u!

Yes, LSE has a proud record of historical scholarship, especially in economic history, but across the subject, from the Webbs who wrote trade union history to Tawney, Namier, Beales, James Joll etc, and recently figures like Paul Preston and Linda Colley, not to mention the naughty, Gnostic - like David Starkey....

ReputationRep:
    Thank you...just out of interest, do u study at LSE because you seem to know a lot about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolly_polly)
    Thank you...just out of interest, do u study at LSE because you seem to know a lot about it?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Yes.
    Hey Hewins, what course are you doing here?

ReputationRep:
    The Times Gd Uni Guide 2004, and Guardian League tables rates LSE 5th best in England for Hist. Don't know if you take that as a credible source though.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what kind of history you want to study. History at LSE is quite modern stuff and as they say in there own prospectus, it is in a social science context which will differ from the more traditional approach as a humanities subject.

ReputationRep:
    as they say in there own prospectus, it is in a social science context which will differ from the more traditional approach as a humanities subject.
    To be honest that doesn't really mean very much. History is taught as history. It is different in that the history is "international history" - but to be honest I don't think that makes THAT much difference, for instance this year I am doing "the history of British national identity"

ReputationRep:
    Hewins, what about Fred Halliday? You forgot to quote him.

ReputationRep:
    a few queries:

modern means from what year to what year?

how does the social science context differ frm the trad humanities context?

thanks!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.