Hi! After sending off my UCAS this week, I was delighted to receive an unconditional offer from RHUL to study law in the coming academic year. RH had been my first choice for as long as I had been looking at universities, and I was naturally so overwhelmed with the thought of this unconditional offer actually taking my stress and anxiety about passing my exams off my shoulders (thats not to say I won't try at all, I just won't devote 60% of my time to worrying what happens).
However, despite having taken an open day, I am still left with a million small, niggly questions, because I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing, and that this is the right choice for me. I'm aware its a small campus, I'm aware its a bit quiet at weekends (which to me is a bonus, as someone who would like to work without it interrupting an overburdened social life) and I'm aware that it can be a bit pricey. However, I am still curious about:
I'm looking at the Founders [J Band] accommodation as my first choice, simply as I fell in love with the room and the building when I first toured it. However:
- What is the social atmosphere like within the Founders building itself? The corridor/common room feels like it'd be a good social area, but is this true?
- Perhaps on a slightly more negative light, is there issues with people taking stuff/etc in the accom? I've heard nothing but horror stories from friends of mine at various universities about this and I am just a bit panicky lol
- Internet: I'm a gay teen, I access a lot of groups and facilities which are often blocked under internet filters bcos it sees "gay" and goes "porn". Is this an issue at RH?
- Laundry: How accessible is this? Is it cheap? I have so many questions here idek where to begin lol I'm a bit of a neatfreak and so having washed and dried clothes means a lottttt to meeee
- Actual rooms themselves; do you have space? Did you find you needed anything additional when you joined?
- Keeping with the room, what are the restrictions on what we're allowed in them? I've had a few family members suggest I take a minifridge to uni but I honestly feel like thats not only a bad idea [/que alcoholism] but may not actually be permitted?
and finally; Guests? How does policy on this run? I've tried to research as best as possible but I really can't see much :/
Sorry for the million questions I am just trying to make sure that I am choosing properly when I say "yeah lets take the unconditional". I've loved everything I've seen about RH so far and want to make sure I don't feel foul to any pitfalls. Your replies are much appreciated <3
Find out the top ten here