Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew what rights I might have in my situation...

I am living in my mum's apartment at the moment with my mum's permission. My mum works abroad and has not been back for 1 and a half years. I am in charge of the apartment in terms of the post box/cleaning/repairs. However, for big things my mum pays (i.e. for lock repairs). My mum also pays all bills.

I am planning to work abroad for 6 months next year; am I allowed to rent the place out to tenants (even if my mum doesn't approve)?

I have no idea when my mum might return and let's say the relationship with my mum is pretty non-existent. For all I know, she may never return to the Uk! But I dont know what to do with the place if I'm abroad for 6 months - I don't want it to rot away...I would like to find a way to make money out of the place while I'm away, while also obviously complying with rules (!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicole_0009)
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew what rights I might have in my situation...

I am living in my mum's apartment at the moment with my mum's permission. My mum works abroad and has not been back for 1 and a half years. I am in charge of the apartment in terms of the post box/cleaning/repairs. However, for big things my mum pays (i.e. for lock repairs). My mum also pays all bills.

I am planning to work abroad for 6 months next year; am I allowed to rent the place out to tenants (even if my mum doesn't approve)?

I have no idea when my mum might return and let's say the relationship with my mum is pretty non-existent. For all I know, she may never return to the Uk! But I dont know what to do with the place if I'm abroad for 6 months - I don't want it to rot away...I would like to find a way to make money out of the place while I'm away, while also obviously complying with rules (!)
    What you're asking is can you you rent out someone else's property (which is legally theirs) without their permission, the answer is no, obviously not. You don't own the property, it's not yours to rent out. You could do it behind her back and hope she doesn't find out but you really don't want to get into that situation. I don't see why you think you'd be able to legally to do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    What you're asking is can you you rent out someone else's property (which is legally theirs) without their permission, the answer is no, obviously not. You don't own the property, it's not yours to rent out. You could do it behind her back and hope she doesn't find out but you really don't want to get into that situation. I don't see why you think you'd be able to legally to do this.

I see, yes that's what I thought. I have a problem then with maintaining the property - l have almost zero contact with my mum - she expects me to attend to the house while she's away but she has given no indication of when she might return/even if she will return! She has said the flat will be mine if she dies (but she has written no valid will). At the moment, I am visiting the property so that the post box is emptied and to check whether the property is fine. but this is a burden on me as i'd rather not have to travel every week to attend to the house. What would you do? I am tempted to just forget about the flat and let the post box burst etc, as I have no idea what the deal is.

ReputationRep:
    I see, yes that's what I thought. I have a problem then with maintaining the property - l have almost zero contact with my mum - she expects me to attend to the house while she's away but she has given no indication of when she might return/even if she will return! She has said the flat will be mine if she dies (but she has written no valid will). At the moment, I am visiting the property so that the post box is emptied and to check whether the property is fine. but this is a burden on me as i'd rather not have to travel every week to attend to the house. What would you do? I am tempted to just forget about the flat and let the post box burst etc, as I have no idea what the deal is.
    Ask my mother if I can rent out the flat?

ReputationRep:
    contact your mother & sort out some sensible arrangements. also get her to make a will. it is very simple and not expensive. if you are unable to look after the flat there are property companies which will do it for a fee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Ask my mother if I can rent out the flat?
    I did and she said I can't, because she may have to return at any time........basically left me hanging and she never replies when I ask what is actually happening...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    contact your mother & sort out some sensible arrangements. also get her to make a will. it is very simple and not expensive. if you are unable to look after the flat there are property companies which will do it for a fee.
    I have repeatedly tried to get in touch but she never replies with an answer. She just says she may have to return at any time and that I may not rent out the property... she has just said to give the keys to a neighbour if i can't look after the property .... In terms of the will, I have asked but again no answer. It's like she wants nothing to do with me!

ReputationRep:
    I did and she said I can't, because she may have to return at any time........basically left me hanging and she never replies when I ask what is actually happening...
    If you might wish to return, then you are stuck with it. If you don't want to return "Mum, I am not taking responsible for your house from 1st December. You will have to make other arrangements. Love and kisses"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    If you might wish to return, then you are stuck with it. If you don't want to return "Mum, I am not taking responsible for your house from 1st December. You will have to make other arrangements. Love and kisses"
    I guess you are right - she has said to give the keys to a neighbour if I can't look after the house!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.