Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hear so many stories of people just casually travelling around the world, backpacking or road trips.
    How can they do it???

I am happy to not stay in hotels or travel nicely, I WANT to hike and drive but its still really expensive!
    Before you even step into the country you have to buy expensive plane tickets. Could I take a boat somewhere?? (btw I live in England)

So; how can I travel to countries cheaply??
    And do you know where I could get cheap plane tickets?
    Any advice?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Flying is the cheapest option. Skyscanner is pretty good for looking for flights at the cheapest rates. Although there is a website which sells cheaper tickets to under 25s but I can’t remember the name of it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoe Lea)
    I hear so many stories of people just casually travelling around the world, backpacking or road trips.
    How can they do it???

I am happy to not stay in hotels or travel nicely, I WANT to hike and drive but its still really expensive!
    Before you even step into the country you have to buy expensive plane tickets. Could I take a boat somewhere?? (btw I live in England)

So; how can I travel to countries cheaply??
    And do you know where I could get cheap plane tickets?
    Any advice?
    The cheapest place to fly is obviously Europe due to its proximity, getting a ferry isnt especially cheap unless you're bringing a car or some such with you.
    To travel cheaply you have tobare a few key things in mind;
    where - certain countries are inherently cheaper than others i.e. eastern europe is cheaper than switzerland for instance and SE-Asia/certain african countries are also excellent for penny pinching.
    when - When you fly is fairly key, in peak season the tickets are going to go through the roof
    how - depending on the location you can take a train/boat/plane/hike .. for europe flights are very cheap things like easyjey/wizz/wow/jet2/baltic etc. plus there are plenty of flight comparison sites [i like kayak to be honest]

Key things to bare in mind are what airline/when/where you book flights though check from multiple airports and to differing receiving airports as well.
    Also look into using airmiles/reward cards... ive used them fordozens of flights to save money/upgrade myself

I've been travelling for years so if you have any questions feel free to ask away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoe Lea)
    How can they do it???

Depends where you are and what you're doing. We live in pretty much the most expensive area of the world, but even here if done right things can be cheap. Let give two examples of trips I've done:

1) 12 weeks in Nepal. Cost ~£1100. By far the biggest expense was flights at about £650 IIRC. After that, Nepal is absolutely ridiculously cheap. You can eat out at a restaurant for 50p, get accommodation for 50p, get a bus across the entire country for like £5. I did a couple long hiking trips but they barely added to the cost.
    £1,100 is still a lot of money, but think about how much you would spend just sitting around in the UK for 12 weeks. Maybe you live very frugally and only spend £20 per week or something, but most people aren't like that. They go out for drinks, they go places to have fun, and the costs rack up. The actual cost of the trip i.e. the amount spent - the amount you would otherwise have spent, might be smaller than you think.

2) 4 weeks hiking across Spain. Even in Western europe there are cheap things to do. There are many hiking routes across Europe and some of the cheapest and most popular are in Spain. You can stay in a hostel for £5 per night easily, or if you want to go really cheap you can just bring a tent. I met two girls who were doing it for less than a euro per day.

Both of these trips were pre-Brexit though, so obviously everything is now about 15% more expensive, but still.

Some people go abroad with the intention of working whilst out there. This can sometimes work out well - some hostels will let you stay for free if you pitch in and work for instance. However I've also seen it not work out so well, with the pay too low to save anything and jobs being harder to come by than expected, so this can be variable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.