Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 11 and going on to choose a decison between college or sixth form. Can ayone tell me the pros and cons of each; of past experiences. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiverhawk)
    I am currently in year 11 and going on to choose a decison between college or sixth form. Can ayone tell me the pros and cons of each; of past experiences. Thanks
    I can only really talk about College, but I'll give you the Pros and Cons of it.
    Pros:
    Treated independently, and like adults - You call teachers by their first names, are given much more freedom and responsibility. The teachers treat you much more like adults, so you have a better relationship.
    Non-Uniform - This might not be a Pro for you, and it's not something you should heavily consider, but it's nice to be able to wear your own clothes, and express your personality.
    Lots of people - At my college there are around 2000 people. This means that you have a huge chance of finding someone with similar interests, and making friends is quite easy.
    No drama/cliques - Because there's around 1000 people in my year, you're never going to know everyone. There's no cliques, or drama with friends, unlike school.
    Specialization - College is dedicated to 16-18 year olds. This means that the teachers mostly just teach A-Levels, rather than a wide range of levels. The facilities and library is dedicated just to A-Level as well, and there are no immature younger years.
    Wide range of courses - Colleges tend to offer a wide range of subjects, rather than just the traditional ones.

Cons:
    Some are less academic - You need to research the college, as some are less academic. I go to a 6th form college, which tends to be A-Level focused. However, some are more vocational, so you really need to research the college and look around to see if it suits you.
    Less close friends - I've found that whilst I have lots of acquaintances, and people I get on with, I have less close friends. You won't have the feel of being a close year group at a college, as it's more like Uni in that sense.
    Lots of people - For some people, they may find it too overwhelming.

Also, there are people from a whole range of areas. There are people at my college that live 5 minutes away, some that live an hour and a half away. It's great that the college is diverse in that sense, but it can be a pain when forming friend groups if you all live quite far apart.

ReputationRep:
    Sixth form is for more academic courses in general terms. You usually do A Levels and it works kind of similar to GCSE except a lot harder and a lot more challenging. Most unis ask for 3 A Levels to get onto courses.

College, from what I understand, is a more vocational qualification than academic. I have friends doing Music Preformance, Catering, Art and Video Game Design.

I go to what's known as a Sixth Form College which is basically a sixth form that is not attached to a school. Instead of staying at my highschool sixth form, I've gone to one in my local city that is independent of any school. Other than that it works the same as a sixth form. It's been fun but a lot of hard work!

Pros
    Treated more like an adult and an individual (call teacher by their first name, no dress code, etc.)
    Got to do what I wanted (Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Religious Studies) which I couldn't do at my high school sixth form.
    A lot of weird stuff has happened e.g. we taped our deputy head to the wall for charity.
    It's so diverse!
    I've had so much more support academically than my friend who stayed at my high school.
    New friends and got rid of my old reputation and the people who tormented me.
    I can leave during my free periods! I wouldn't be allowed if I stayed at high school sixth form.
    Focused on just Year 12 and 13, don't have to worry about sharing resources with Year 7-11.

Cons
    I have to get an hour bus to the city ever morning meaning I have to wake up at 6:15 am and get a 7:25 am bus.
    While there are new friends, I don't have that big of a friendship group since I've left. (However I didn't have many friends in high school either so I don't mind this.)
    It's a lot of hard work, but that's just A Levels in general!

What you choose depends on what you want to do when your older. College may be better suited for courses like catering, music, art but not always. A Levels are more for science, history kind of things but then again not always (I have a friend doing A Levels for an animation course). Just look at what courses you may be interested interested doing!

ReputationRep:
    I go to a sixth form that isn't based in a school. It offers A-Levels (which I study), short BTECs that can be taken with A-Levels, full course BTECs, and apprenticeships.

Pros:
    Leaving all the people I knew behind, so I got a fresh start. I had lots of friendship issues at school and I'm also trans so I went somewhere almost no one knew me, so I'm a lot happier now.
    I got to study the subjects I wanted to, which I wouldn't have been able to do at my school's sixth form, as my college offers more subjects.
    The teachers are really friendly and you get to know them pretty well.
    No pressure to 'set a good example' for younger members of the school.
    No uniform.
    I've managed to receive mental health support (though this was pretty hard to access, it was easier than at my school) and academic help with uni applications.

Cons:
    Most people are there because they don't get along with regular schooling, which means they're often not academically committed at college either.
    Lots of really weird **** happens and people can be really nasty to each other. There are definitely still cliques and loads of group drama.
    Loads and loads of people smoke and they leave their stuff for rolling cigarettes all over the place. I wouldn't mind, but loads of people come in smelling like smoke.
    Lots of people act really cool/'grown up' even though they're still like sixteen.
    There are a lot of people and sometimes it gets loud in spaces that are meant to be quiet.
    Class sizes are pretty large and teachers are often overworked.
    Might be the case with school sixth forms as well, but classes literally range from A* students aiming for Oxbridge to people who'll be lucky to get a D as their final result, which is understandably difficult for the teacher to work around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.