Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so whilst i was charging my laptop i accidentally pushed the adapter plug and made the charging slot in my laptop really loose so my laptop no longer charges. This has happened to me before and i just got it fixed but it was quite expensive so i'd like to know if theres anything i can do at home to fix this charging issue? It doesn't charge even if i wiggle it about and i feel like i've tried everything.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Laptops, netbooks and tablets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymonda23)
    Okay so whilst i was charging my laptop i accidentally pushed the adapter plug and made the charging slot in my laptop really loose so my laptop no longer charges. This has happened to me before and i just got it fixed but it was quite expensive so i'd like to know if theres anything i can do at home to fix this charging issue? It doesn't charge even if i wiggle it about and i feel like i've tried everything.
    Can you still use the laptop without the battery charging?

How old is the laptop, and how much did it cost to be fixed last time?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be too scared to start poking around my laptop trying to fix it, I'd just go and get it fixed again.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, this is a common problem with pretty much all consumer grade laptops. Most of the charging ports are soldered directly INTO the motherboard rather than having a cable bridging the connection between the mobo and the socket to provide some "give" in these exact situations. This type of cheepo work from manufacturers is exactly what makes replacing the port expensive.

There probably isn't much you can do other than to visit a professional IT Tech for a quote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Can you still use the laptop without the battery charging?

How old is the laptop, and how much did it cost to be fixed last time?
    Well the laptop is about 4 years old, its a samsung laptop and i have no idea idea what the cost was the fix it the first time but they obviously didn't do a good job 😂 also i usually can use the laptop without the battery charging but it is dead now due to it not being able to charge so i cant use it anymore
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well the laptop is about 4 years old, its a samsung laptop and i have no idea idea what the cost was the fix it the first time but they obviously didn't do a good job 😂 also i usually can use the laptop without the battery charging but it is dead now due to it not being able to charge so i cant use it anymore
    I'm not sure what the best thing to do is, it sort of depends how much you're willing to spend at the moment.

If it's an old laptop and a repair is going to be expensive, then you might want to consider a new computer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.