Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I am 28 years old and I am doing forensic psychology at The Open University. The problem is that The Open University was my only choice because I had a really rough childhood (too complicated to tell), and I finished high school without graduation exam (I am from the Czech Republic, but I live in Wales now), so basically no one else would accept me.

I was really scared as I am not a native speaker and the open university require a lots of essays, but I am getting quite good scores from them and my tutor told me that my writing skills are better than many level one students and he wouldn't know that English is not my first language if I wouldn't tell him.

Anyway, back to the point. I am really enjoying face to face tutorials but they are just once before each essay and I am kind of missing classic lectures and uni atmosphere and a normal student life and it's hard for me to make a friends there because others are way older than me (but I guess I would be too old for a brick uni) and also I am the only one who is doing forensic psychology in my group.

I was just wondering if you think I could finish this year and switch to a brick university.
    Another option is to finish my bachelor at Open Uni and try to do a master at a brick uni.

I am just wondering if anyone knows more about this.

Thank you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpsonHomer)
    Hello there,

I am 28 years old and I am doing forensic psychology at The Open University. The problem is that The Open University was my only choice because I had a really rough childhood (too complicated to tell), and I finished high school without graduation exam (I am from the Czech Republic, but I live in Wales now), so basically no one else would accept me.

I was really scared as I am not a native speaker and the open university require a lots of essays, but I am getting quite good scores from them and my tutor told me that my writing skills are better than many level one students and he wouldn't know that English is not my first language if I wouldn't tell him.

Anyway, back to the point. I am really enjoying face to face tutorials but they are just once before each essay and I am kind of missing classic lectures and uni atmosphere and a normal student life and it's hard for me to make a friends there because others are way older than me (but I guess I would be too old for a brick uni) and also I am the only one who is doing forensic psychology in my group.

I was just wondering if you think I could finish this year and switch to a brick university.
    Another option is to finish my bachelor at Open Uni and try to do a master at a brick uni.

I am just wondering if anyone knows more about this.

Thank you.
    Are you still doing level 1 modules? How long have you been studying with the OU?

It depends what you mean by 'switch'. It is possible to use OU credits as an alternative to a high school diploma / the Czech Maturita, most universities will require 120 credits at level 1, although I know some are happy to consider applicants with just 60 credits. You will very likely be expected to start from the first year. Some universities do allow OU students to transfer directly into the second year, but this is unusual. Which brick universities would you like to go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Are you still doing level 1 modules? How long have you been studying with the OU?

It depends what you mean by 'switch'. It is possible to use OU credits as an alternative to a high school diploma / the Czech Maturita, most universities will require 120 credits at level 1, although I know some are happy to consider applicants with just 60 credits. You will very likely be expected to start from the first year. Some universities do allow OU students to transfer directly into the second year, but this is unusual. Which brick universities would you like to go to?
    Yeah, I wanted to do the first year full time but I wasn't able to pay full tuition and they refuse to allow me monthly payments because I had no credit records. I moved to the UK a year ago.

I was kind of hoping I will finish the first year and I will be able to transfer credits to a brick uni and continue from the second year. If I would have to do the first year once again, I wouldn't be very happy about it plus I don't know if could get a loan from sfw - it seems unlikely.

Well, I guess there is always an option to study hard at the open uni, get 2:1 at least and try to do a master degree at a brick uni. They would accept it, right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wanted to do the first year full time but I wasn't able to pay full tuition and they refuse to allow me monthly payments because I had no credit records. I moved to the UK a year ago.

I was kind of hoping I will finish the first year and I will be able to transfer credits to a brick uni and continue from the second year. If I would have to do the first year once again, I wouldn't be very happy about it plus I don't know if could get a loan from sfw - it seems unlikely.

Well, I guess there is always an option to study hard at the open uni, get 2:1 at least and try to do a master degree at a brick uni. They would accept it, right?
    As I say, not many universities will allow OU students to transfer into the second year of their degree. If that's what you want to do then I suggest you email unis and ask. You can get a tuition fee loan, but EU students need to live in the UK for three years before they can get maintenance loans.

Brick unis will accept an Open uni degree for a master's, yes.

ReputationRep:
    As I say, not many universities will allow OU students to transfer into the second year of their degree. If that's what you want to do then I suggest you email unis and ask. You can get a tuition fee loan, but EU students need to live in the UK for three years before they can get maintenance loans.

Brick unis will accept an Open uni degree for a master's, yes.
    Thank you. I was going to email them, but I wanted to ask here first because I didn't want to look like a fool if this would be something out of the question.

Anyway, I am not really sure about the tuition because I have tried to apply this year (still don't have any decisions), so basically if they would approve it, I am not sure if I would get another loan if I would go to the first year once again because I read something when I was completing my application you may not ask for another loan if you already have one.

Thanks again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I was going to email them, but I wanted to ask here first because I didn't want to look like a fool if this would be something out of the question.

Anyway, I am not really sure about the tuition because I have tried to apply this year (still don't have any decisions), so basically if they would approve it, I am not sure if I would get another loan if I would go to the first year once again because I read something when I was completing my application you may not ask for another loan if you already have one.

Thanks again.
    You are entitled to a tuition fee loan that covers the full length of your degree plus one extra year. If you've studied with the OU for one year, and then you begin a new degree from the start, you will definitely receive a full tuition fee loan. If you've studied with the OU for longer than one year it becomes a bit complicated, but you should still get a full loan as long as you don't receive a qualification from the OU. But the maintenance loan is, I would have thought, the main problem - how would you pay for your accommodation and living costs?

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled to a tuition fee loan that covers the full length of your degree plus one extra year. If you've studied with the OU for one year, and then you begin a new degree from the start, you will definitely receive a full tuition fee loan. If you've studied with the OU for longer than one year it becomes a bit complicated, but you should still get a full loan as long as you don't receive a qualification from the OU. But the maintenance loan is, I would have thought, the main problem - how would you pay for your accommodation and living costs?
    No, I am going to do the first year in one year plus if they would give me a loan this time, it would be just for 60 credits so basically a half year, but I am kind of afraid they will make me to pay it from my own money because they will not make a payment to OU on time . I was trying to apply online, after answering approximately 20 question it told me I have to fill out a paper form but I couldn't open that file for some reason, I called to SFW I told them I cant apply online because it told me I live in the UK less than 3 years if would be possible to send me over a paper forms.
    They sent me a PTL1 form, I have completed that form, a few days after they wrote me I have to do it again because there was something missing. I did it again, I wrote on an extra piece of paper that I live at my current address from 06/03/2017. On 5th of October, they wrote to tell them where I have lived or will I live from 06/03/2017 to 01/09/2017. I answered them that I already wrote them that I live at my current address since 06/03/2017. It took 4 weeks to tell me that I have completed from PTL1 but I supposed to complete a PTL1EU form.

I never got anything for free, so I guess I would survive without maintenance loan as I had to survive somehow a high school.

Thank you so much for your very useful information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.