Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I know this sounds hella crazy but let me explain. I’m 17 and have depression, this year it has got really bad to the point where I couldn’t care less if I live or not. I live in an abusive household (my dad get drunk and high then shouts at my Mum, sometimes things become violent, I’ve tried to intervene but I just end up with bruises, my Mum blames it all on me and makes me feel like I’m worthless, she only cares about my brother and is constantly reminding me how her life would be so much better without me), I have friends but honestly I don’t they could care less if I turned up to school or not, I just feel like a burden to them, and on top of that I’m failing my A-Levels.

Whilst I was sat here thinking how much of a fail my life is I realised I have one thing that most people never get to experience, I have no fear, so started thinking what I want to do, and came up with this idea which I know is kinda extreme but honestly oh well. My only happy memories are in nyc when I went on a school trip and got away from my family.

My dad just inherited £130000 from my gran, I know his password to his bank so I could transfer £5000 into my bank (he has a high income job and is a horrible person I don’t feel guilty), surely with this money I can get by in nyc for a bit until I find a job?

So here’s my questions, what visa do I need to get? can I get a job realistically being 17 and a uk citizen? I really want to have a job in the film industry when I’m older, is it possible to get a job as an assistant in a production company and work my way up? Is this even legal? What do I do in nyc, where do I go? What else do I need to plan ahead?

ReputationRep:
    if the USA authorities find out you are a fraudster then you will be put back on a plane before you can say covfefe.

ReputationRep:
    You steal his money, you'll end up in jail...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if the USA authorities find out you are a fraudster then you will be put back on a plane before you can say covfefe.
    Is it Fraud if my dad gives me the money? I have evidence my dad smoke weed, if I showed anyone that he’d lose his job which would mean he’d lose a hell of a lot more than £5000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sky2018)
    Is it Fraud if my dad gives me the money? I have evidence my dad smoke weed, if I showed anyone that he’d lose his job which would mean he’d lose a hell of a lot more than £5000
    you choose... fraud, theft or blackmail...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you choose... fraud, theft or blackmail...
    Okay so then I don’t use the money, i sell a load of my stuff then what? I’ll probs have about £1000 in my bank, then after a plane ticket that makes it £750, that won’t get me by for very long

ReputationRep:
    you aren't 18, you'd steal 5k and run off to America think how well that would go down with anyone exactly. Have you got a sort of dream of what life will be like in NYC because it's a big place and I doubt it will go the way you think it will go for you.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so then I don’t use the money, i sell a load of my stuff then what? I’ll probs have about £1000 in my bank, then after a plane ticket that makes it £750, that won’t get me by for very long
    A couple of points worth baring in mind; firstly that due to your age and therefor lack of qualifications or expertise the chances of getting any kind of work visa is slim to nill... although i do believe they have some sort of WHV through camp america etc. Second NYC is an expensive city, america itself isnt the cheapest £1000 in ofitself isnt going to last beyond a few days to be honest and thats assuming you could get through immigration with no return ticket and pittance to your name.
    If you have your heart set on fleeing the country i'd choose somewhere closer to home like europe where visas and language arent such an issue.

ReputationRep:
    So I know this sounds hella crazy but let me explain. I’m 17 and have depression, this year it has got really bad to the point where I couldn’t care less if I live or not. I live in an abusive household (my dad get drunk and high then shouts at my Mum, sometimes things become violent, I’ve tried to intervene but I just end up with bruises, my Mum blames it all on me and makes me feel like I’m worthless, she only cares about my brother and is constantly reminding me how her life would be so much better without me), I have friends but honestly I don’t they could care less if I turned up to school or not, I just feel like a burden to them, and on top of that I’m failing my A-Levels.

Whilst I was sat here thinking how much of a fail my life is I realised I have one thing that most people never get to experience, I have no fear, so started thinking what I want to do, and came up with this idea which I know is kinda extreme but honestly oh well. My only happy memories are in nyc when I went on a school trip and got away from my family.

My dad just inherited £130000 from my gran, I know his password to his bank so I could transfer £5000 into my bank (he has a high income job and is a horrible person I don’t feel guilty), surely with this money I can get by in nyc for a bit until I find a job?

So here’s my questions, what visa do I need to get? can I get a job realistically being 17 and a uk citizen? I really want to have a job in the film industry when I’m older, is it possible to get a job as an assistant in a production company and work my way up? Is this even legal? What do I do in nyc, where do I go? What else do I need to plan ahead?
    i wouldn't advice doing any of that , go seek help instead

Hey,
    I dunno if running from your problems is going to solve them. Chances are, it'll just open up a whole other can of worms for you and create even more problems. Running away to NYC won't make your troubles go away - you'll still have the thought of them in your head and it will continue to affect you emotionally. This plan seems quite impulsive and poorly thought out. It's just not realistic.

Your home situation sounds really terrible. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through or how you feel. You don't deserve this suffering and you are *not* worthless. However, there are other solutions to the problem than this. Stay safe

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry OP you feel this way. Harsh responses on this board but I think their intentions are good. I would certainly not comtemplate stealing or blackmailing. OP have you considered going to the police / social services, there is excellent support in this country for children (you are still <18) suffering from abuse.

Realistically, all posters are right, £1k will get you nowhere in the US - perhaps Asia it will last longer but definitely not USA and NYC in particular. Is there really no one else? Relatives? Friends from when you were younger? Neigbours?

ReputationRep:
    Try contacting the police or Childline instead, committing a crime and going to America isn't a good idea.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    go somewhere in europe for a bit, like amsterdam or france.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.