Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Many Saudi Princes and ministers detained under corruption purge Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41874117

The heir to the throne in Saudi Arabia has consolidated his hold on power with a major purge of the kingdom's political and business leadership.

A new anti-corruption body, headed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, detained 11 princes, four sitting ministers and dozens of ex-ministers. Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, a billionaire with investments in Twitter and Apple, is among those held. Separately King Salman replaced the national guard and the navy chiefs. The new anti-corruption committee has the power to issue arrest warrants and travel bans.

Attorney General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb said the status of the detainees would not influence "the firm and fair application of justice", AFP news agency reports. Saudi broadcaster Al-Arabiya said fresh investigations had been launched into the 2009 Jeddah floods and the outbreak of the Mers virus which emerged in Saudi Arabia in 2012 - but analysts see the detentions as a clear move by the crown prince to strengthen his power base.

Government reform or paranoid power grab?

ReputationRep:
    tat Prince Alwaleed bin Talal seems like a nice guy to me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think this could be the reform of Saudi Arabia finally happening. The Crown Prince seems extremely chilled and wants to see Saudi Arabia come into the 21st century but knows it will be much harder with opposition in his way.

The guy is young and will rule Saudi Arabia for decades and I suspect he'll soon start rolling out more changes such as freedom of religion (within reason), abolishment of the death penalty for certain crimes, women free to travel without a guardian at all, a little more laid back dress code etc etc.

I think soon Saudi Arabia could be as chilled as places like Jordan or the UAE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    I think this could be the reform of Saudi Arabia finally happening. The Crown Prince seems extremely chilled and wants to see Saudi Arabia come into the 21st century but knows it will be much harder with opposition in his way.

The guy is young and will rule Saudi Arabia for decades and I suspect he'll soon start rolling out more changes such as freedom of religion (within reason), abolishment of the death penalty for certain crimes, women free to travel without a guardian at all, a little more laid back dress code etc etc.

I think soon Saudi Arabia could be as chilled as places like Jordan or the UAE.
    and we would have to find new materials to **** talk the saudis

ReputationRep:
    > anti-corruption agency created
    > many people arrested hours later

That's some damn good investigative skills. :holmes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.