Turn on thread page Beta

Is anybody else struggling with 9-1 Edexcel History GCSE watch

ReputationRep:
    only advice for History; make mind maps and flash cards! I've finished Nazi Germany in 2 DAYS and I'm almost finished Crime and Punishment and literally do the practice papers straight afterwards, buy the revision guides if you have already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shammahx)
    The topics I study are:
    Medicine Through Time
    Henry VIII and his Ministers
    The American West
    Weimar & Nazi Germany

Year 10:
    In the end of Unit for Medicine I got a 5
    In the end of Unit for Henry I got a 7
    In the mocks for Medicine I got a 5 again and I dropped to a 6 in Henry
    Year11:
    My teacher decided that an end of unit for American West wasn’t necessary (which freaks me out)
    Now I’m currently studying Germany

I’m quite academic, I’m part of G&T and I’m within the top 20 students in the year. Based on KS2 data my target is a 7.

However, I find remembering content quite easy but struggle with exam technique. Whilst in the exam I feel like I’m making excellent explanations but when I get my paper back to my teacher they’re not good. Meeting A02 is stressful. My teacher is adamant I can reach my target though.

Can anyone share their experience with GCSE history please? Good or bad and Why do you think you’re doing well and why do you think you’re struggling.
    You have to follow the exam formula religiously and constantly link it back, make a concious effort to link it back my teacher is quite critical and won't give you full marks for a perfect answer unless I have clearly showed that I have linked

ReputationRep:
    This is a resource I found and edited to fit fully with Medicine, this is a really good way of revising, try doing this with your other topics and it will really help. Good luck!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx EDEXCEL-History-GCSE-9-1-Western-Front-and-Medicine-2018-03-29-08_46_13.docx (343.8 KB, 9 views)

ReputationRep:
    I am doing terribly despite being moderately intelligent, and so is everyone else so honestly the grade boundaries are going to be low anyway. I’ll make sure of that 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharri.coco)
    Anyone doing Anglo Saxon, American Wes, Nazi Germany and Crime and punishment? Got some resources if you want them!
    i’m doing all of these! pls hmu w the resources bc i’ve left revision till the last minute
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The topics I study are:
    Medicine Through Time
    The American West
    Weimar & Nazi Germany

Year 10:
    Year11:
    My teacher decided that an end of unit for American West wasn’t necessary (which freaks me out)

I’m quite academic, I’m part of G&T and I’m within the top 20 students in the year. Based on KS2 data my target is a 7.

However, I find remembering content quite easy but struggle with exam technique. Whilst in the exam I feel like I’m making excellent explanations but when I get my paper back to my teacher they’re not good. Meeting A02 is stressful. My teacher is adamant I can reach my target though.

Can anyone share their experience with GCSE history please? Good or bad and Why do you think you’re doing well and why do you think you’re struggling.
    I sat my GCSE History exams last year with OCR and I can certainly relate about exam technique - I was slightly disappointed with a Grade B but learning the context wasn't that bad. There's a revision session for History going on this Sunday 3rd June 2018 all day which you can take part in if you want although I won't be online all day to help - there's other equally as helpful CAs, STs and SLs around who can help.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Shammahx In relation to exam techniques I recommend referring to the following from the specification:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...ment-guide.pdf
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...ions_guide.pdf

It should (hopefully) clearly state the assessment objectives and how you can approach each question. If you still don't understand, feel free to tag me and I'll try my best to explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    I sat my GCSE History exams last year with OCR and I can certainly relate about exam technique - I was slightly disappointed with a Grade B but learning the context wasn't that bad. There's a revision session for History going on this Sunday 3rd June 2018 all day which you can take part in if you want although I won't be online all day to help - there's other equally as helpful CAs, STs and SLs around who can help.
    Hi what is the revision session you mentioned?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    Hi what is the revision session you mentioned?
    Exam Jam. Across the forum, we're doing different revision sessions and today is History. There should be a thread for it I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so for Paper 1, does anyone have any suitable 'time to spend' guides for the questions? Really struggling to find out how much time to spend on certain questions like Question 4 and Question 5/6. Only thing close to a guide is the Pearson guide that says 25 minutes for Section A and 50 minutes for Section B. This is seriously dreadful so any advice helps! :afraid::afraid:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by madzrahman)
    Hey guys, so for Paper 1, does anyone have any suitable 'time to spend' guides for the questions? Really struggling to find out how much time to spend on certain questions like Question 4 and Question 5/6. Only thing close to a guide is the Pearson guide that says 25 minutes for Section A and 50 minutes for Section B. This is seriously dreadful so any advice helps! :afraid::afraid:
    Just divide the number of minutes into the marks available and you get the minutes per mark score, then multiply that by how many marks the question is worth to get an idea of how long you should be spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just divide the number of minutes into the marks available and you get the minutes per mark score, then multiply that by how many marks the question is worth to get an idea of how long you should be spending.
    Thank you so much!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thank you so much!
    Just common sense spend 50% of time to get you through 50% of the exam paper in terms of marks.

You can figure that out now.

You then know your schedule for the exam. Start- plan- end of first question -plan- finish

Mistiming an exam is one of the two great avoidable mistakes that can really ruin a grade.

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you’re struggling have you checked the mark schemes? I do Edexcel A*-G IGCSE History (last year of spec) and the mark schemes are very specific such as “Show how factors combined to produce this outcome” or “links between factors”. If you know the content well but can’t apply it in the way the examiners want then you’ll be stuck at a lower grade.

ReputationRep:
    Just common sense spend 50% of time to get you through 50% of the exam paper in terms of marks.

You can figure that out now.

You then know your schedule for the exam. Start- plan- end of first question -plan- finish

Mistiming an exam is one of the two great avoidable mistakes that can really ruin a grade.
    Yeah at first it was a bit weird because I couldn’t really get a base when I did 75 minutes divided by 52 marks but when reassured to use minutes per mark, I got rid of spag marks and then I got a better guide

It went really good today as well thanks to that advice! Used it the whole time and got through it and happy with the exam as a whole. Thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yeah at first it was a bit weird because I couldn’t really get a base when I did 75 minutes divided by 52 marks but when reassured to use minutes per mark, I got rid of spag marks and then I got a better guide

It went really good today as well thanks to that advice! Used it the whole time and got through it and happy with the exam as a whole. Thank you
    Good to hear it went well or at least you avoided the dreaded mistime.
    I used to write down a timetable of times when I should be finishing each question as a reminder. Takes 20 seconds.
    You can then get more detailed by breaking down your 45 min essay
    5min plan 5 intr
    30 min main- 3 x 10 or 4x 7.5 min paragraphs
    5 min evaluation.

It just helps with focus. I liked having a watch to keep staring at and keep on focus. It also stops you slacking as they are like checkmarks.
    Very pleased it worked for you. GL

That helps you focus in what you need to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grade boundary for 8 or 9 for edexcel 9-1 Crime and Punishment paper sat today!
    Test is out of 52
    I presume I got 43/52 - is that enough for a 9?

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone’s medicine go yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    The topics I study are:
    Medicine Through Time
    The American West
    Weimar & Nazi Germany

Year 10:
    Year11:

Hiya, i'm actually really struggling with henry VIII and his ministers unit - do you think you could help me? Like did you use any particular sites or videos?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, It depends on the question and difficulty if you follow the principle of minute per mark the chances are you are not going to spend enough time on the questions that matter, My advice is that you spend a majority of your time doing the questions that are worth more marks or you find hardest. As the source questions on the Germany paper take longer than 8 minutes - you may have noticed. So spend a good portion of your time on the 16, 12 and 8 and near the end of the exam finish the smaller 4 markers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 1, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.