Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chemistry A2 question on acid/bases help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    2. A student was given a task to determine the percentage purity of a sample of salicylic acid. The method used by the student to prepare a solution of salicylic acid is described below.
    •********0.500 g of an impure sample of salicylic acid was placed in a weighing bottle.
    •********The contents were tipped into a beaker and 100 cm3 of distilled water were added.
    •********Salicylic acid does not dissolve well in cold water so the beaker and its contents were heated gently until all the solid had dissolved.
    •********The solution was poured into a 250 cm3 graduated flask and made up to the mark with distilled water.

b) ****The pH of this solution was measured and a value of 2.50 was obtained.
    Calculate the concentration of salicylic acid in this solution.
    Assume that salicylic acid is the only acid in this solution. The Ka for salicylic acid is 1.07 × 10–3 mol dm–3. You may represent salicylic acid as HA.
    I worked out the answer for this question which was 9.55 mol dm-3.

c) ****Use your answer to part (b) to calculate the mass of salicylic acid (Mr = 138.0) present in the original sample.
    I have checked the markscheme and it says to:
    (b) × 138.0 / 4
    = 0.322
    Why does 138 have to be divided by 4? Can someone explain it thank you?

ReputationRep:
    You will want your conc. in mol dm-3 rather than mol (250 cm)-3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Thank you, yes I know that Do you know why we have to divide 138/4? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starstudent7)
    Thank you, yes I know that Do you know why we have to divide 138/4? Thanks

(Original post by Pigster)
    As @Pigster stated, you need the concentration in mol dm^-3. You used a 250cm3 flask. The factor to convert between 250cm3 and 1dm3 (1000cm3) is 4.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.