Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

LSE/UCL/KCL for History watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered place to study History as an Undergraduate course at KCL, LSE and UCL. I am obviously very happy as all of the them are great uni's and want to study in London, but struggling to choose one out of the three. Was wondering, as someone who hasn't yet gone to university what are the key things to look out for when judging which uni to go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidneybean74)
    I have been offered place to study History as an Undergraduate course at KCL, LSE and UCL. I am obviously very happy as all of the them are great uni's and want to study in London, but struggling to choose one out of the three. Was wondering, as someone who hasn't yet gone to university what are the key things to look out for when judging which uni to go to?
    Given that the environment is the same for all three, ie London, I suggest that you focus on the course content. What does each one focus on? Do you prefer one to the other two?

What about compulsory modules? Do you like them or are they subjects you hate?

Look at the optional modules. Imagine which ones you would take each year (given the choice) at each uni.

Does one uni now stand out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Location is a key. But yours are all in london,
    Prestige - LSE is top.
    Variations in the course
    Number of optional modules
    How your'e assessed - exam to coursework ratio.

I'd go LSE ! - Congrats on getting such great unis. May i ask what u were predicted ?

ReputationRep:
    LSE > UCL > --------------------------------------------------- KCL

in that order
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MonkeyUSB)
    Location is a key. But yours are all in london,
    Prestige - LSE is top.
    Variations in the course
    Number of optional modules
    How your'e assessed - exam to coursework ratio.

I'd go LSE ! - Congrats on getting such great unis. May i ask what u were predicted ?
    Says who? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)

ReputationRep:
    Congrats such great unis ! When did you get your UCL offer?

ReputationRep:
    Wait you already have an LSE offer? you must be like the first in the country. Are you international?

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for all your replies, given me lot to think about!

I am actually on gap year, reapplying post getting my A-level results (A,A,A*), which is perhaps why I heard relatively early.

haiki45 - I got UCL offer 30/10/17

ReputationRep:

I am actually on gap year, reapplying post getting my A-level results (A,A,A*), which is perhaps why I heard relatively early.

Come to any conclusions yet?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Hi! I currently study Government and History at the LSE.

Something you should note is that the fields of history offered at LSE are very narrow/niche compared to UCL & KCL.

The focus is on modern, international history - look at the page that shows the course structure, and have a look through the module lists.

If you want to study the 19th/20th century history of Russia/Soviet Union, Latin America, China, India etc., and you love learning about things like decolonisation and international conflicts, then LSE is for you.

If you want to study any medieval history, social history (I.e. experiences of people), or British/European history then it may not be.

UCL and Kings offer a far wider range of modules - you could do anything from the ancient period through medieval times to present day.

ReputationRep:
    League Tables in every newspaper
    International League Tables
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Those tables are not always representative of what people (i.e employers) think. And LSE does not come top in all rankings, anyway: https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, what were your gcse grades

ReputationRep:
    Most people tbh

ReputationRep:
    UCL usually beats it in every international ranking overall

but LSE is more prestigious

prestige =/= league table ranking

if that was true, everyone would be eyeing up Loughborough and Lancaster

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.