The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Are all the students at Newcastle uni the kind of people who'll go out every night?

Hi guys!!

I looked around Newcastle at the start of September and loved it. The campus is great and so is the accommodation.
One thing I didn't get a conclusive answer on was the night life. I know that the uni is known for heavy drinking but is that every student?
Don't get me wrong, I like a drink myself but not every night of the week which is the stereotype I've heard. I would also enjoy a night in every so often with my flatmates.
My question is, if I put Newcastle as my firm choice, as I got an offer a few days ago for combined honours, will I be forced to go out every night if I don't want to be a loner by the end of first years? Or are there people who, like me, enjoy a night in as well.

Thanks

Gem x
Original post by gem-leigh
Hi guys!!

I looked around Newcastle at the start of September and loved it. The campus is great and so is the accommodation.
One thing I didn't get a conclusive answer on was the night life. I know that the uni is known for heavy drinking but is that every student?
Don't get me wrong, I like a drink myself but not every night of the week which is the stereotype I've heard. I would also enjoy a night in every so often with my flatmates.
My question is, if I put Newcastle as my firm choice, as I got an offer a few days ago for combined honours, will I be forced to go out every night if I don't want to be a loner by the end of first years? Or are there people who, like me, enjoy a night in as well.

Thanks

Gem x

Hi Gem,

Great to hear you enjoyed your visit and are thinking of coming to study with us 😊

Don’t worry, as with any city you are sure to meet and make friends with like-minded people if you are looking in the right places. We offer plenty of societies you can join to meet fellow students with similar interests, anything from Baking or Music to Parkour or even Sober Socials specifically for those who prefer not to drink! You can view our full list here: https://www.nusu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/a-z/fullatoz/

There’s also plenty to do in the city in the way of comedy, theatre, art and music. Or, if you fancy venturing slightly further afield there’s some stunning countryside and coastline with award winning beaches to enjoy.

I wouldn’t be put off by the ‘Geordie Shore’ reputation, although our city does enjoy a vibrant night scene, it certainly isn’t exclusively for those looking to party hard. And speaking as a former student who doesn’t drink very often at all, it’s certainly not every student that wants to 😊

Hope this helps,

Susie
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending