The Student Room Group

Maths ALevel C3 help

Hey guys, does anyone know how to solve tan2x = -1? like how do you work out the values of x using this? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Maha1999
Hey guys, does anyone know how to solve tan2x = -1? like how do you work out the values of x using this? Thanks!

That's C2 stuff, you have to tan^-1(-1) and double the range your given to get a set of solutions
Original post by bruh2132
That's C2 stuff, you have to tan^-1(-1) and double the range your given to get a set of solutions

Ahh okay, thanks so much!! :smile:
Original post by bruh2132

Wait but when i do tan^-1(-1), i get 2x= -1/4 pi, however the answer in the book I am using says 2x=3/4 pi ?
you need to use the double angle formula for tan2x :smile:
Original post by heisenbatch

Ohhh thank you soo muchh! :smile:
Original post by heisenbatch

What? That's not needed!

Original post by Maha1999
Wait but when i do tan^-1(-1), i get 2x= -1/4 pi, however the answer in the book I am using says 2x=3/4 pi ?

When you arctan (inverse tan) some value you will get tan(x)=ax=arctan(a)\tan(x) = a \Rightarrow x=\arctan(a) as the principle solution (meaning the closest one to 0). Depending on your interval, there are many more solutions since tan has a period of π\pi so you'll get grab more solutions as you keep adding or subtracting π\pi from your principle solution. So generally you get x=arctan(a)+nπx=\arctan(a) + n \pi where nn is some integer of your choice (principle solution is given when n=0)

In your case, notice how 14π-\frac{1}{4}\pi is your principle solution but 14π+π=34π-\frac{1}{4}\pi + \pi = \frac{3}{4} \pi, with n=1n=1 here, hence the other solution.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
What? That's not needed!

When you arctan (inverse tan) some value you will get tan(x)=ax=arctan(a)\tan(x) = a \Rightarrow x=\arctan(a) as the principle solution (meaning the closest one to 0). Depending on your interval, there are many more solutions since tan has a period of π\pi so you'll get grab more solutions as you keep adding or subtracting π\pi from your principle solution. So generally you get x=arctan(a)+nπx=\arctan(a) + n \pi where nn is some integer of your choice (principle solution is given when n=0)

In your case, notice how 14π-\frac{1}{4}\pi is your principle solution but 14π+π=34π-\frac{1}{4}\pi + \pi = \frac{3}{4} \pi, with n=1n=1 here, hence the other solution.

Omg thank you so much! I was soo confused ahahah xD Anyways thank you so much for your help, much appreciated!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest