Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

With me being in year 12 my Asian dad demands that I revise around 5 or 6 hours EVERYDAY like WTF? I am not a high achiever and keep telling my dad to leave me alone and just let me get on with my own work but no, he won't leave me alone and constantly throughout the day he always storms in to my room and keeps shouting "work, work and work" like I am a human being with feelings and emotions, revising is something I hate tbh but you can't blame me for it, if I don't feel like revising then I won't revise simple as that, there is no point forcing yourself to revise because your brain will simply not give two flying ****s of what you are trying to memorize. He says that he puts this pressure on me because he doesn't want me to "fail life" and I am guessing what he means by that is that he doesn't want me to work in McDonald's and work instead to some fancy high-paying job. How can I stop my dad from putting so much pressure on me? Is he even allowed to shout at me or as I like to call it "abuse" me like that?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    With me being in year 12 my Asian dad demands that I revise around 5 or 6 hours EVERYDAY like WTF? I am not a high achiever and keep telling my dad to leave me alone and just let me get on with my own work but no, he won't leave me alone and constantly throughout the day he always storms in to my room and keeps shouting "work, work and work" like I am a human being with feelings and emotions, revising is something I hate tbh but you can't blame me for it, if I don't feel like revising then I won't revise simple as that, there is no point forcing yourself to revise because your brain will simply not give two flying ****s of what you are trying to memorize. He says that he puts this pressure on me because he doesn't want me to "fail life" and I am guessing what he means by that is that he doesn't want me to work in McDonald's and work instead to some fancy high-paying job. How can I stop my dad from putting so much pressure on me? Is he even allowed to shout at me or as I like to call it "abuse" me like that?
    Unfortunately this is fairly common among Asian families, there's not a lot you can do to stop him. I would say for now just work as much as you can and try and get the best grades possible, perhaps he may lighten up when you get good AS/A2 grades and go off to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate, it's very annoying to have a parent shout at you to revise, to be honest having someone do that just killed my motivation to do it completely. However, being a Y13 student now there was so much truth in what they said, remember not to study for them but study for yourself. Where do you want to be? Motivate yourself with goals: Cambridge, Oxford or wherever you want to go, the latter is what is keeping me studying 4+ hours a day.

At the end of the day, you want to get away from him constantly shouting at you right? So work hard, get those grades, and go to university. Motivation is key.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate as well because i am pakistani if my parents don't see me with my books out, they think that i am "wasting time" and not doing my work. I always get my work done on time but they are always on my case. Ultimately, i know that they want what is best for me and they want me to succeed in life.

(Original post by Liz1919)
    I can relate as well because i am pakistani if my parents don't see me with my books out, they think that i am "wasting time" and not doing my work. I always get my work done on time but they are always on my case. Ultimately, i know that they want what is best for me and they want me to succeed in life.
    I am simply getting this tingling feeling that whenever he wants me to do a high paying job he only says this so that when I actually get that high paying job and start earning money, I am going to pay his expenses for everything, including buying him a new house in his home country. I don't think he wants me to do a high paying job just because he wants the best for me. Keep in mind my dad does come from a very poor background, almost 50 years old and never managed to buy a house.

ReputationRep:
    I am simply getting this tingling feeling that whenever he wants me to do a high paying job he only says this so that when I actually get that high paying job and start earning money, I am going to pay his expenses for everything, including buying him a new house in his home country. I don't think he wants me to do a high paying job just because he wants the best for me. Keep in mind my dad does come from a very poor background, almost 50 years old and never managed to buy a house.
    He probably doesn't expect you to buy him a house (not with the current state of the housing market, anyway), but it's reasonable for him to expect his offspring to provide something during his dotage seeing he's paid for everything since your birth.

Your father just has high expectations for you, and it's a good thing. He came to the UK and brought you up here because there are more opportunities in this country for you to succeed in life. He doesn't want you to waste opportunities that he never had as a kid.

Your only job at this age is to study and get a good degree. Everything else is provided for you,

ReputationRep:
    I think that because he has come from a poor background he wants better for you and wants more for you than what he got himself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.