The Student Room Group

Worried about paying for accommodation in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JennLousie
I've applied to HYMS as well as they do a lot of lectures via video call, which is far from ideal as I've sat in on one and even in a small room I couldn't hear it. I think if I ended up studying there I think I would try and apply for money to get a small tablet or something so I could use that to watch the lectures as opposed to through speakers in a lecture hall. There's some other things as well, like tiny microphones which can play into your hearing aid that the NHS and educational needs people supply to children, though I expect it won't apply to uni students.

At UCL a lot of lectures are lecture cast (recorded and put on the private portal) and lecturers wear mics. But I'll admit the audio is a bit crap. Although maybe the DSA would fund better quality mics so that they would record well?? Sounds like a real struggle though - I'm not hard of hearing and I can barely hear some lecturers because they mumble!!
Original post by StealingThunder
At UCL a lot of lectures are lecture cast (recorded and put on the private portal) and lecturers wear mics. But I'll admit the audio is a bit crap. Although maybe the DSA would fund better quality mics so that they would record well?? Sounds like a real struggle though - I'm not hard of hearing and I can barely hear some lecturers because they mumble!!

Once I've got offers in, I'll start doing a little more investigating and then hopefully I'll be able to get some support for it. I think lectures will be the toughest part to be honest 😂
Original post by sarah :)
Hiya! This is my plan too. I worked as an HCA before uni and have done bank work ever since. Did you find it easy to join the bank in london? I’m applying to Barts.

Yeah it was pretty straight forward! For Barnet and Chase Farm anyway!
Original post by JennLousie
Did you do work as a HCA during regular term times (e.g. when you weren’t intercalating)? I’m just worried that it’s such an intensive course you don’t have time for much else.

Yup I did!
It is intensive but I worked Friday night +/- Saturday night. Once you get used to the intensity of med school + get yourself a routine (obviously uni work takes priority) I think its easy enough to do!
Original post by Cravez
What was it like working as a HCA during medicine?
I am planning to do the same but I am a little worried that it may interfere with my studies or leave me exhausted. The hospital here pays around £200 for a 13 hour shift on Sundays which is not to be sniffed at but at the same time I hear that HCA is a demanding job.

It was fine! It actually works in your favour in terms of building your confidence around sick people, etc. Being a HCA is demanding but I worked night shifts which I found easier to deal with than day shifts. The money was definitely handy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending