Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you drink alcohol and why/why not? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because:
    Wine tastes good (and there is an art and a tradition behind)
    It's socially required/expected
    It makes parties, dinners and people more entertaining
    It makes life more tolerable
    It makes clubbing fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxSaruman82xX)
    I am under 18, but honestly, I would never drink alcohol. Not only do know the health risks, I hate the taste and the smell even more. I have only tried prosecco but I absolutely hated it. If I ever did drink, though, it would be controlled - I would not binge drink. That is the worst for you. Loads of my friends have got really drunk and thrown up and stuff. So no I don't drink, and I don't think I ever will
    You only tried prosecco, how can you say all alcoholic drinks taste bad? Also, tastes evolve with age: young people hardly like the taste of wine. If you apply basic decency, common sense and a bit of restraint you can drink abundantly without getting seriously sick.

(Original post by time4twice)
    no, tastes gross and I'm a confident extrovert so I don't need alcohol to "liven up" etc
    All wine tastes "gross"? Sure... You may not need to "liven up", but you need to learn how to live.

(Original post by soIiIoquy)
    no bc its harammmmmmmmmmmmm
    Evolve.

(Original post by 408655)
    I don’t drink because I don’t like it. I’ve seen and heard too many terrible stories from those who do
    I can't imagine the terrible stories you have heard. Horror film material, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I drink but only rarely. I'm not a fan of drinking because I always just feel incredibly sick afterwards and it's horrible. (I am admittedly a lightweight because I'm V short irl so it doesn't take much) I hate coming home after a night out and having to vomit. I only drink on special occasions and that's only usually because my friends do and I kinda feel the need to take part. If it weren't for the fact it's kinda youth culture to drink, I wouldn't drink at all. I only really do so I can actually have a social life sometimes. I don't particularly enjoy being drunk because I hate the feeling of being out of control.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes, becasue it is a good escape when you are stressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)

I can't imagine the terrible stories you have heard. Horror film material, I suppose.
    Reading your posts, you seem a bit arrogant. And no, they were not horror stories :rolleyes: I feel pity for people like you who are so arrogant and stuck up. Not everyone likes what you like - in this case, alcohol - get over it.

I won't bother narrating stories lol, because I would be sitting here all day arguing with a bunch of narrow minded children. I have better things to do today

Primary reason I don't drink is because it's bad for my health and I save a lot of money which I would rather spend on my travelling or future investments

ReputationRep:
    It's bad for your health and your bank account.

It's fun, even if you are already an extrovert (it does more than just make you confident)

Yeee I drink but no where near as much as I used to, being hungover the next day isn't usually worth it anymore

ReputationRep:
    i no longer drink except on holiday. it saves ££££ which goes into the holiday fund.... also there is no risk to my driving licence etc.

ReputationRep:
    I do bcz i feel very philosophical and wise when i'm drunk... then i realise i'm talking absolute bs

but mostly cause it's fun to loose a bit of control hehehe

ReputationRep:
    No because it’s haram/forbidden in Islam. It’s harmful for health- not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    No, I never drink. Because why intentionally get myself into it when it's bad for my health and I never go out partying/clubbing anyway.
    Also my parents can be absolute ****s when they drink and I don't want to be like them in any way whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I drink reallly occasionally, maybe a few drinks at a party. So not really because I haven't had a drink in 2 months. I personally don't like the taste and I don't feel like I should drink or get drunk to enjoy myself
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Eh, I drink very occasionally, but it's not really appealing to me anymore and I am fine about not having a drink if I'm out with people who are drinking. Even if I'm not hungover the next day, I still feel *****y and I am a grumpy mess. It's basically poison to the body so it's best for myself if I avoid it really.

ReputationRep:
    no, would rather be 100% consious

ReputationRep:
    No, because I don’t like the behavioural and health effect it has
    Grown out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froppy)
    Don't drink because then i would need to interact with the person selling it... and i have a strong dislike for people in general.
    I bet you're fun at parties

ReputationRep:
    Is it weird to drink responsibly? Because I do from time to time

I do it because it's a luxury.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's a nice thing to have if you want to relax, in the same way that having a bacon sandwich after going for a walk in the cold is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I do drink alcohol but not that much when I start to feel it I stop because I don't wont to make an idiot of myself

ReputationRep:
    Not anymore, and never again, had a bad history with it that I don't intend to revisit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    You only tried prosecco, how can you say all alcoholic drinks taste bad? Also, tastes evolve with age: young people hardly like the taste of wine. If you apply basic decency, common sense and a bit of restraint you can drink abundantly without getting seriously sick.

All wine tastes "gross"? Sure... You may not need to "liven up", but you need to learn how to live.

Evolve.

dont tell me what to and what not to do. my decision, my choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.