Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my test is on tuesday, it's predicted to rain.

I had one lesson in the rain yesterday and it was harder than usual.

The hardest part was just at junctions and roundabouts, although my windscreen and mirrors were clear the windows of the car were so wet that all the indicators were blurry so at roundabouts it was hard to see which way they were going.

Do you think I should just keep the window open during my test?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*my)

The hardest part was just at junctions and roundabouts, although my windscreen and mirrors were clear the windows of the car were so wet that all the indicators were blurry so at roundabouts it was hard to see which way they were going.

Just leave it on that date, you won't know when your next test date will be then. This is because most of the dates will then be booked.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way, you're going to have to drive in adverse weather at some point, whether it be snow, rain or fog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*my)

It's your choice. In my driving test (and driving lessons, regardless of the weather) I would roll down the window slightly so I can at least see through the gap, and more importantly, hear what's going on which is rather handy for maneuvers.

Good luck for tomorrow, by the way. Remember to bring a bottle of water with you.

ReputationRep:
    This is Britain. It rains, get over it!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for being rude, but you're being ridiculous - your instructor and all the examiners at the test centre will be laughing at you for cancelling a test just because it's raining.
    I passed my test during heavy snowfall. In fact my instructor was a bit concerned and phoned the test centre before my test to make sure the centre wasn't closed due to the snow.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of as above, if you're that worried about a bit of rainfall I wonder if you're really ready to take your test. And, well, bluntly, I really don't like the thought of people who are made nervous by the thought of precipitation being licensed to drive on England's roads.

I would advise against keeping your window open if it's raining purely on the basis that I suspect the typical examiner will be more inclined to fail you if you force them to be freezing cold and wet throughout the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Sorry for being rude, but you're being ridiculous - your instructor and all the examiners at the test centre will be laughing at you for cancelling a test just because it's raining.
    I passed my test during heavy snowfall. In fact my instructor was a bit concerned and phoned the test centre before my test to make sure the centre wasn't closed due to the snow.
    erm sorry but when did I say about cancelling my test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Kind of as above, if you're that worried about a bit of rainfall I wonder if you're really ready to take your test. And, well, bluntly, I really don't like the thought of people who are made nervous by the thought of precipitation being licensed to drive on England's roads.

I would advise against keeping your window open if it's raining purely on the basis that I suspect the typical examiner will be more inclined to fail you if you force them to be freezing cold and wet throughout the test.
    WOW i'm not that nervous. People are deeping this a bit too much. Obviously driving in the rain is harder, as visibility is worse. I'm not dangerous or nervous about driving in the rain, it's the fact it's my test day so I'm asking about how to prepare the car best at the start of the test lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*my)
    erm sorry but when did I say about cancelling my test?
    Not directly, but you were asking for advice on what to do and even asked if you should keep your window open in the pissing rain (I'm sure your instructor would love you for that!), so I don't really know what else you were asking. People drive in the rain all the time, you don't have to do anything special that you wouldn't normally do, except slow down a bit where appropriate, keep a larger distance between your car and the car in front - all basic stuff that you'd already know as someone who's done their lessons and passed their theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*my)
    WOW i'm not that nervous. People are deeping this a bit too much. Obviously driving in the rain is harder, as visibility is worse. I'm not dangerous or nervous about driving in the rain, it's the fact it's my test day so I'm asking about how to prepare the car best at the start of the test lol.
    lol well it came across like you thought it was a big deal.

If you want to clear water off your windows you can open and close them, but you should be okay with just windscreen wipers really. You can make out headlights and indicators through a wet window. If you're not 100% sure which way a car is indicating, and tbf I think you should always be able to be pretty sure, the car's behaviour should make it obvious. You should be watching for that anyway, since people often indicate completely wrongly.

Again, if I wanted to pass my test I wouldn't necessarily choose to subject my examiner to an open window for the duration.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.