Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently trying to figure out what question I want for my EPQ, i was considering to have it about how youth culture has changed throughout the 20th century? Is this a good idea and how could I make this the perfect question?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my EPQ right now but it's science based so I cant help specifically with your topic.

However you have to make sure your topic is not too broad so you can write an essay of about 5000 words (if you're not doing an artefact) but not so specific that you can't find any sources on it. You also have to be able to find a variety of sources including books, websites, articles, questionnaires, etc. to get the most marks.

Your question also has to be evaluative, not descriptive. You have to be able to weigh up different arguments and come to a conclusion from these arguments. It doesn't have to be a question either! You can have a statement if it's easier for you to write one (e.g. Assess the extent that something contributed to something.) The title you use now also doesn't have to be your final one. The exam boards realise it will probably change over the course of the project (mine's changed twice) and so it doesn't have to be set in stone for a while!

Hope I've helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taylerhall)
    I'm currently trying to figure out what question I want for my EPQ, i was considering to have it about how youth culture has changed throughout the 20th century? Is this a good idea and how could I make this the perfect question?
    '
    'to what extent has youth culture changed since the 20th century?'

sounds a little bit broad to me maybe focus on a particular aspect of youth culture such as music or fashion

hope this helps
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taylerhall)
    This is a good idea - especially if you are doing a subject like Sociology at uni.

But I think it is too broad - there's a big danger you'll end up just writing descriptions of a number of youth sub-culture.

Why not compare two sub-cultures like mods and punks - you could maybe do some interviews with people who used to be in those sub-cultures?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.