Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since we have to use our time wisely in exams, can abbreviations be used?

For example could I say "Independent Variable (IV)" first and then in the same question just use "IV"?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r1fty)

For example could I say "Independent Variable (IV)" first and then in the same questions just use "IV"?
    I was told by multiple teachers that you can. Didn't seem to do me any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I was told by multiple teachers that you can. Didn't seem to do me any harm.
    Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I always had mixed reactions from teachers. Some would say yes you can use them as long as you write it out in full then put the abbreviation in brackets after, but then other teachers said no don't use them. So I just didn't use them unless I felt rushed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r1fty)

For example could I say "Independent Variable (IV)" first and then in the same question just use "IV"?
    in psychology i was told that you had to use the full word once and if you needed to use it again then you can abbreviate it.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine. Just make sure you write it out in full with the abbreviation in brackets (as you have done in your example) the first time, as you're safest not assuming that any abbreviations are universally understood.

ReputationRep:
    I got full marks in one of my English exams using an abbreviated poem title. So shouldn’t be too big of a deal!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The usual approach to using abbreviations in any academic writing is to write it in full the first time, then put in brackets afterwards the abbreviation you intend to use, and after that use the abbreviation.

For example "blablabla independent variable (IV) blablabla IV bla"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.