?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
? Thanks
The Toffy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not supposed in a way. However, it does help brushing up on General Knowledge and Analysing skills. =)
Flower404
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well i'd say no - it's not really a subject you need to do much in plus it most likely wont matter what grade you get in it. i would say dont waste your time. (but then again i got a C so...) *shrugs*
huladancingmunchkin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As long as you've practiced some of the exam questions I think it'll be okay. That's what I'm going to do anyway.
I wouldn't really know what to revise...
x.beth.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:p: I'm not
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No... or at least, I don't think so. At my school General Studies is an obligatory subject, although all we do for 'lessons' is have debating sessions (in other words, they've turned it into a Sixth Form debating society).
EvenStevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Meh.
I didn't revise for GS at all.

Ended up with a B.
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
they say you don't, but just going over your notes and learning some of the 'key words' helps. i'm not though, i barely ever even turn up for the class.
crosscurrents
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
AQA website has a ton of past papers. Even if you're not doing AQA, I've just looked through at questions that look hard from past papers. Doesn't need to be timed or anything.

But basically- no.
Kolya
Report 12 years ago
Some of the replies on this thread suggest that revising for GS might be a good idea.
motiv3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Depends on what course you want to apply. Some Universities see General Studies as a joke, because its not actually applying anything, just learning to read and express your opinions so to speak.

We did a practice paper of the maths section for GS and initially we as a class attempted the mathematical approach to the questions e.g. cylinder volume and applyin the equation etc. Then comes along our teacher and shows us another way, the logical way and simply works out the answer without one single calculation and goes you can clearly see this from the diagram. Either way works, so you just need to approach GS a different way.

But some courses e.g. Medicine and if we say Liverpool require GS a grade B if you want to apply in the first place, so im going to revise for it

But if you know your course and the uni you want to apply for, dont actually look at GS then i personally wouldn't, but hey more A's on the a-lvl certificate can't hurt :P
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The General Studies is in about a week or so. I would say that you read the news a bit on the BBC for 5/10 minutes. Best revision would be to do some past papers on the AQA website if you take that specification. If you are doing an essay-based subject already, that does seem to help as well.
motiv3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ye cataclysm, teacher also advised reading the broadsheets (no excuse to tell your parents that General Studies requires you to read The Sun) and go on bbc news section cause the test people like to put current affairs into the tests
ShaolinTemple
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ninaabbey)
they say you don't, but just going over your notes and learning some of the 'key words' helps. i'm not though, i barely ever even turn up for the class.
Notes? What notes?
The Menace
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a B in General Studies, and it helped me get into Uni as well.

The best advice I can give is to practice a few past papers. Theres no essential revision needed for the exams, but its good to just brush up on your technique by doing a few past questions.

Many people say its a worthless A-level, but its better to have a worthless pass than a worthless fail.
Kolya
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by motiv3)
We did a practice paper of the maths section for GS and initially we as a class attempted the mathematical approach to the questions e.g. cylinder volume and applyin the equation etc. Then comes along our teacher and shows us another way, the logical way and simply works out the answer without one single calculation and goes you can clearly see this from the diagram. Either way works, so you just need to approach GS a different way.
What?! :eek:
motiv3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there was some diagrams in the maths section on the General Studies exam...e.g. a picture of a cylinder and asked to work out volume.
EvenStevens
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
2pi*r * h FTW!
motiv3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol, but the thing was, he didnt use that equation once...he simply looked at it then said that the answer was this and from our calculations it was right.
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
He probably read the mark scheme and just said the answer! :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?