Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had a DSA done before going to uni which the uni and my work placement have completely ignored. I have several health issues and some which are worse in winter. A fact known to the work placment and uni.

My work placement give us way more hours then we are supposed to do and expect us to work in reading weeks and holidays.

I emailed the course head twice about issues and so have others on the same course. He emailed my work placement to tell then we were only supposed to work 13 hours a week and not in reading week or holidays but nothing changed. I was told if I did extra hours I could take time off placement if I needed it but the reality is it's not forthcoming now I need to move house.

We are 8 weeks in and I am exhausted, in pain and feeling resentful and used. I am currently waiting to hear if I got PIP after being moved from DLA.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by dragonfly587)
    I had a DSA done before going to uni which the uni and my work placement have completely ignored. I have several health issues and some which are worse in winter. A fact known to the work placment and uni. I am a mature student and am in the process of moving to a flat I can have a bedroom in as I've been sleeping in the living room for years and my two adult sons who are living with me are autistic and cannot share rooms. I couldn't move in the holiday as I was on the council list and this is when I was offered one.

My work placement takes the pee. They give us way more hours then we are supposed to do and expect us to work in reading weeks and holidays. I am currently trying to move house, decorate the new place so it is not a complete tip when we move in, ( my autistic son wants his room the same as here). do 30 hours work placement a week and my degree. I have to travel to lectures so it is a 12 hour day everytime I am in uni and I am so tired I fall asleep during the lectures. I am not learning anything.

I emailed the course head twice about issues and so have others on the same course. He emailed my work placement to tell then we were only supposed to work 13 hours a week and not in reading week or holidays but nothing changed. I was told if I did extra hours I could take time off placement if I needed it but the reality is it's not forthcoming now I need to move house. My placement is pointless as I am just filling in were others refuse to work.

We are 8 weeks in and I am exhausted, in pain and feeling resentful and used. I am currently waiting to hear if I got PIP after being moved from DLA and if that is a no I will somehow have to get a paid job to cover the rent.. .That or leave.
    Yeah you've not been put in a good situation there. When was the last time you spoke to your uni about this?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by dragonfly587)
    I've pretty much come to the conclusion to suck it up or leave. Noone cares about the impact uni is having on my health and tbh am not sure what they could do if they did. I've been off sick 2 weeks yet again...I've missed 3 weeks this term and quite a few lecture days cos they are tiring and pointless and now holidays are here. Only time I get messagged is to find out when am coming back to placement. Uni says placement in holidays is voluntary but I was signed up until Christmas eve afternoon. I do all the work on my own and sit in lectures waiting for them to stop droning on as I can't take in anything they say after 10 minutes. All they do is read off the study guide anyway. Only good thing is I got PIPs.
    And when was the last time you tried raising these issues to the uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3519698)
    I had a DSA done before going to uni which the uni and my work placement have completely ignored. I have several health issues and some which are worse in winter. A fact known to the work placment and uni.

My work placement give us way more hours then we are supposed to do and expect us to work in reading weeks and holidays.

I emailed the course head twice about issues and so have others on the same course. He emailed my work placement to tell then we were only supposed to work 13 hours a week and not in reading week or holidays but nothing changed. I was told if I did extra hours I could take time off placement if I needed it but the reality is it's not forthcoming now I need to move house.

We are 8 weeks in and I am exhausted, in pain and feeling resentful and used. I am currently waiting to hear if I got PIP after being moved from DLA.
    Apart from e-mailing the course leader twice, what have you done to inform the uni and work placement about these issues??

The fact that other people may or may not have e-mailed the course leader is totally irrelevant in terms of getting your issues sorted out.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    It is the university's problem when they have a duty of care for you, when they have organised this work placement for you (correct me if I'm wrong), and they want to have good student satisfaction survey results because it makes them look good. Don't be afraid to raise it again, and if you're ignored, make an official complaint. You have rights.

ReputationRep:
    The university, if they were the people to arrange it, should have taken your disability into account when allocating your placement. Have you spoken to your university's disability advisers? They should be able to look into this for you and, if need be, advocate for you in helping to get things sorted.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    It is the university's problem when they have a duty of care for you, when they have organised this work placement for you (correct me if I'm wrong), and they want to have good student satisfaction survey results because it makes them look good. Don't be afraid to raise it again, and if you're ignored, make an official complaint. You have rights.
    Sadly, I don't think the OP is coming back.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.