Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to sit my numerical reasoning test this evening for a finance grad scheme. Has anyone got any last min tips???

I've done quite a few practice ones on SHL/Assessmentday and I've no problem with the difficulty of the questions, however the time limit is the biggest thing. I've been getting 100% accuracy but not answering on average 4 out of the 18 questions.

Is it expected that everyone finishes these tests in the time given? Anyone got any last min tips?

Much appreciated!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have struggled with these as well, but have overcome the difficulty by constant practising. If you have practised timed tests, then you should be fine. If, during the test, you have the option to change previous answers, then I suggest don't spend too much time on one question as you come back to it. If there is no such option, I would suggest spend some good time, and at some point you're going to realise that you don't know the answer, then skip it as after that realisation, you are just wasting time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Would you say it's better to guess any questions you have left at the end? In my eyes id rather have 100% accuracy than guess some and pull accuracy scores down. Surely if they see that you've answered all the ones you attempted correct, that's better than getting a few wrong.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME1993)
    I'm about to sit my numerical reasoning test this evening for a finance grad scheme. Has anyone got any last min tips???

I've done quite a few practice ones on SHL/Assessmentday and I've no problem with the difficulty of the questions, however the time limit is the biggest thing. I've been getting 100% accuracy but not answering on average 4 out of the 18 questions.

Is it expected that everyone finishes these tests in the time given? Anyone got any last min tips?

Much appreciated!
    The tests are designed to be tight on time and for a fair proportion of people not being able to complete them within the timeframe.

Try to be decisive. Quickly eliminate the one MC answer(s) that is/are definitely not right. That might help you focus on which answer is right.

Finally do the test at your best. Doing it late at night when you are tired might not be the best idea, especially if you have been studying before hand. It’s always best to do it with a fresh mind and when you are at your best.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Would you say it's better to guess any questions you have left at the end? In my eyes id rather have 100% accuracy than guess some and pull accuracy scores down. Surely if they see that you've answered all the ones you attempted correct, that's better than getting a few wrong.
    Yes, generally that is the case as you can score negative marks for getting a question wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. Just did it. Out of the 18 questions, I answered 15 and guessed one (because I was stuck on it and had 1 min on the clock so just guessed to see if i had much chance at the next one in limited time), however ran out of time. So hopefully if i got at least 13 out of the 15 I answered properly correct, it should be good enough.

Now to do the logical reasoning test........

ReputationRep:
    Passed the online tests. Next and final stage: assessment centre!

ReputationRep:
    Accuracy > Speed, but obviously better if you get more questions correct.

ReputationRep:
    Passed the online tests. Next and final stage: assessment centre!
    Iv applied for a job and it says "online testing" and i will be invited to complete. So wont be able to do it at home?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.