This discussion is closed.
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i do mickey mouse subjects - psychology, sociology (and english - not MM)

and i'm gonna take psychology and sociology at degree level

i took the subjects that i was interested in (at gcse i got B in pretty much everything except history and french) but now fear im gonna be labelled a mickey mouser

i do wish i took something like chemistry, this could've been interesting
Allimacpopp
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
My A level subjects are a bit MM i suppose, well according to friends anyways. I do A level Drama, and AGCE art and design double award. However i have applied to do Architecture at Newcastle, Cardiff, Sheffield and Nottingham and have offers from three and have sent work to Cardiff and am just waiting for a reply. So pretty glad i did my MM subjects cause i am still able to do a degree which i think wouldn't be considered as MM at places that are pretty darn good.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by H.D.)
Why all the confusion! I thought this was a common term?!?

You can get a degree in television: 40 UCAS points required.
But I bet it's still a bit tricky.
Would you like to back that up with a source?
FranklyMrShankly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
Would you like to back that up with a source?
Back up there being a television course? I was browsing through prospectuses (because I have no social life what so ever- thats by the by I suppose...) and I spotted a degree course in television. Unfortunately I've completely forgotten what uni was offering it.

I say that it might be 'a bit tricky' because it is a degree course after all! One thing that really really ticks me off is academic snobbism. I don't think people really have a right to turn up their noses at other subjects/courses. I would probably struggle with buisness studies, fail food tech with flying colours and completely botch up media studies- and as an A2 psychology student I can say at first hand that it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination and it's a subject that not only gets me a letter on a piece of paper, but it also has changed the way I think significantly.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just cannot believe any proper degree requires only 40 points. I know the at Salford for their TV production course you need A level maths and around 400 ucas points. Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with the old system?
Gemz87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's probably an HND leading to a degree or a Foundation degree
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NJA)
Supplementary questions:
Do you do new or unusual A levels?

I did law, physics and politics so no.

(Original post by NJA)
What would be a worthy subjects not currently offered?
I suggest a course in the social & psychological effects of poker.
Astronomy. I would have studied that as an extra but, at the time of studying my 'A' levels, it was unavailable and if I was that bothered about studying it, a part time course at the Open University was my only viable option.

Perhaps an 'A' level in criminology might be good but it's personal opinion really.
FranklyMrShankly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
I just cannot believe any proper degree requires only 40 points. I know the at Salford for their TV production course you need A level maths and around 400 ucas points. Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with the old system?
Maybe I am. But I'm just saying what I saw.
Eubacterium
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But someone had to design MS accountant and I'm sure it's not prefect.
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm going to stick up for sociology (did it at AS and A2 level). It wasn't that easy!

And second I disagree with all these lists anyway. The relative easiness or difficulty depends on the individual, there isn't some objective magic God-given tablet saying 'these are the mickey mouse subjects'. Some of my friends who do science say that English is a mickey mouse subject (I'm hoping to study English at uni), yet they only got Bs in it at GCSE. If something is to be classed 'mm', shouldnt they have all got A*s?
natalie291
Report 13 years ago
I do "Mickey Mouse" subjects... English Language and Media Studies (along with Spanish, which is pretty difficult, I must say).

Media is really easy, in my opinion, but I really enjoy it, so I don't see why I should be seen as stupid. It's not like I'm not capable of doing "serious" subjects... I got As in the sciences and maths at GCSE, so it wouldn't be impossible for me to study them and do well.
$loth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NJA)
DT ?! That's what we called detention.
DT was a great subject and is of course useful to those who are going to be learning a skill straight out of school such as an apprenticeship.
βored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes, I do ICT A-level. Not out of choice though. It was the only 4th AS level I could pick up around 3 months into the year.
FranklyMrShankly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by geetar)
I'm going to stick up for sociology (did it at AS and A2 level). It wasn't that easy!

And second I disagree with all these lists anyway. The relative easiness or difficulty depends on the individual, there isn't some objective magic God-given tablet saying 'these are the mickey mouse subjects'. Some of my friends who do science say that English is a mickey mouse subject (I'm hoping to study English at uni), yet they only got Bs in it at GCSE. If something is to be classed 'mm', shouldnt they have all got A*s?
So am I.

English is tough: I think it pulls the best bits from some of the most respected/innovative subjects- therefore they are talking %%%%%%%%%%%%%%s. And if it's a mickey mouse subject, why the feck is it so competative to get onto english courses at undergrad level?!

(Oh, and Oscar Wilde= )
joeydeacon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ashy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by joeydeacon)
seriously, i'm not in with the trendy new words
"oxymorons must genuflect"

I did Mickey Mouse A levels: Physics Maths Chemistry and German :rolleyes:
Sidhe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I couldn't give a toss what Oxbridge thinks are MM subjects I know that much.

Maths is very handy in a scientific career, in fact I'd say it was pretty much essential even in biology at post graduate level. If you want to be a forester though I'm banking on it being about as useful as cardboard hat in a thunderstorm.

$

{\partial^2 \varphi\over \partial x^2 } +

{\partial^2 \varphi\over \partial y^2 } +

{\partial^2 \varphi\over \partial z^2 } = 0.

$

This is quite useful and it looks really elegant too.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Sidhe)
$

{\partial^2 \varphi\over \partial x^2 } +

{\partial^2 \varphi\over \partial y^2 } +

{\partial^2 \varphi\over \partial z^2 } = 0.

$

This is quite useful and it looks really elegant too.
Nice font, but apart from those that like a career in number games, what practical benefit has this afforded?

I'm not saying it hasn't, I know technology doesn't just float down from on high or get dug up . . . I'm interested to be educated
Melkor
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by paperclip)
i do mickey mouse subject - psychology, sociology (and english - not MM)

and i'm gonna take psychology and sociology at degree level

i took the subjects that i was interested in (at gcse i got B in pretty much everything except history and french) but now fear im gonna be labelled a mickey mouser

i do wish i took something like chemistry, this could've been interesting
As a Sociology student myself, it is certainly not a mickey mouse subject. A while back a physics student approached me in conversation to ask about what I did, when I replied Sociology, he said thats a MM subject, so I asked him why. His reply was 'I don't actually know anything about the subject, it just sounds like one'.

Sociology, is certainly no less of a Mickey Mouse subject than Politics or English, and I can speak with relative clarity as I have taken off 3 of these subjects at Degree level, using my universitys open unit scheme. It may not have the pin point accuracy of physics, but due to the nature of the subject that would be impossible. Despite it being a far newer discipline, at least at my university, we get a workload easily equal to our English/History/Politics counterparts, and our work is of an equally challenging level, judging by the work of others.

So, before people attack the subject, I ask that they look into it. It is a subject rich with historical analysis and scientific method (as far as science can be accurate outside of the natural sciences.) And certainly not deserving of the attacks it recieves, from people who have absolutely no knowledge of the subject.
joeydeacon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.39%
Virtual campus tours/open days (99)
22.86%
Live streaming events (39)
9.01%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.47%
A uni comparison tool (99)
22.86%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.4%