This discussion is closed.
v2006
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#61
Report 13 years ago
#61
i guess so
0
joeydeacon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
#62
Report 13 years ago
#62
..
0
Melkor
Badges: 0
#63
Report 13 years ago
#63
(Original post by joeydeacon)
I'm interested to know, I am studying Psychology at Access level and will be at Uni as of Sept 08, is this classed as MM?
It's best to decide for yourself whether a subject is MM or not. The arrogant opinion of the 4 A achieving nuclear physisist, should not be a priority to you!

That said, there do seem to be general levels of degree respect, however I would advise you take notice of them.

The general level would be (very roughly)

Engineering, Mathamatical and natural sciences at the top, along with degrees such as Law and the Medical sciences.

The social sciences, and subjects such as English, below that. These sujects are generally more creative and lack the pure scientific edge of others (this category includes psychology, because despite what psychologists would have you believe, it is far, FAR from a natural science)

Below that, new subjects such as media studies, football studies, busines studies etc etc.

This list is VERY, VERY rough, but it should give you a general idea of roughly how well Psychology is respected, it's a pretty middle of the road degree.
0
v2006
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#64
Report 13 years ago
#64
(Original post by joeydeacon)
lol mickey mouse? a lot of psychological work forms the basis of how we define if someone has mental health problems, ie its a degree which places you directly in line to work with the NHS etc
If you knew it wasn't MM, why did you ask the flippin question?
0
Melkor
Badges: 0
#65
Report 13 years ago
#65
(Original post by joeydeacon)
lol mickey mouse? a lot of psychological work forms the basis of how we define if someone has mental health problems, ie its a degree which places you directly in line to work with the NHS etc
Sadly, compared to a real doctor, your degree in psychology will show you exactly how accurate these 'mental health problem' diagnosis' are

Designating a child with 'lack of attention span disorder', or 'hyperactivity disorder', then pumping them full of drugs for it, has little use other than to dull the mind and create a self fulfilling prophecy for the child.

Look at the DSM for example. It increases in the number of illnesses every new release, yet many of them are absolutely ridiculous, attempting to define various human traits, and 'cure' them.

Let's be honest, when it comes to real issues like schizophrenia and the such, it isn't the psychologists that do the surgery anyway.
0
v2006
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#66
Report 13 years ago
#66
(Original post by Melkor)
It's best to decide for yourself whether a subject is MM or not. The arrogant opinion of the 4 A achieving nuclear physisist, should not be a priority to you!

That said, there do seem to be general levels of degree respect, however I would advise you take notice of them.

The general level would be (very roughly)

Engineering, Mathamatical and natural sciences at the top.

The social sciences, and subjects such as English, below that. These sujects are generally more creative and lack the pure scientific edge of others (this category includes psychology, because despite what psychologists would have you believe, it is far, FAR from a natural science)

Below that, new subjects such as media studies, football studies, busines studies etc etc.

This list is VERY, VERY rough, but it should give you a general idea of roughly how well Psychology is respected, it's a pretty middle of the road degree.
That is pretty rough; medicine, economics and law are in the top level, in terms of respect.
0
Melkor
Badges: 0
#67
Report 13 years ago
#67
(Original post by v2006)
That is pretty rough; medicine, economics and law are in the top level, in terms of respect.
Thank you for pointing that out. *adds them*
0
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#68
Report 13 years ago
#68
(Original post by joeydeacon)
lol mickey mouse? a lot of psychological work forms the basis of how we define if someone has mental health problems, ie its a degree which places you directly in line to work with the NHS etc
People doesnt seem to realise how much biology and aspects of neuroscience are involved in psychology. People who claim it to be micky mouse are usually people who havent studied it, and are therefore basing their judgement on the preconception that it's "Freud studies"

Sure, looking at Psychology in the past, it may of been labeled as such, but the field has developed and changed so much in recent years, incorporating more empirical research using TMS, MRI, fMRI and PET.
0
v2006
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#69
Report 13 years ago
#69
Imperial doesn't do Psychology, and its a specialist science uni
0
joeydeacon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
#70
Report 13 years ago
#70
(Original post by v2006)
If you knew it wasn't MM, why did you ask the flippin question?
I wanted to know if people think it is a MM, but I know full well it is not.
0
Melkor
Badges: 0
#71
Report 13 years ago
#71
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
People doesnt seem to realise how much biology and aspects of neuroscience are involved in psychology. People who claim it to be micky mouse are usually people who havent studied it, and are therefore basing their judgement on the preconception that it's "Freud studies"

Sure, looking at Psychology in the past, it may of been labeled as such, but the field has developed and changed so much in recent years, incorporating more empirical research using TMS, MRI, fMRI and PET.
I've been to various Psychology lectures and I quote 'This is the biological makeup of the brain, however as psychologists you don't particularly need to know it very well'.

Also, Psychologists shoud leave neuroscience to the neuroscientists :-)
0
joeydeacon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
#72
Report 13 years ago
#72
...
0
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#73
Report 13 years ago
#73
(Original post by Melkor)
Let's be honest, when it comes to real issues like schizophrenia and the such, it isn't the psychologists that do the surgery anyway.
Surgery? There were less than 25 recorded events of psychosurgery in Britian in 2000, and hasnt really increased much since. You'll find most of the hard work put into aleviating symptoms of such diseases is from Clinical Psychologists working along side Psychiatrists.
0
Melkor
Badges: 0
#74
Report 13 years ago
#74
(Original post by joeydeacon)
Well put.

I'm doing an Access course and only last night we started our Stress module, within 10 minutes were discussing biological aspects of stress. Like you say I don't think people understand the subject fully.
A scientific revelation! Stress has physical symptoms, and only through relaxation can we be rid of them! Where WOULD we be without psychology? Well, I'd imagine a few pharmaceutical companies might bea bit less well off, with fewer non illnesses to treat! :P

It's not that I hate Psychology (although some of its methods in the past have been...questionable.), it's that many psychologists would claim it is a science when it clearly isn't.
0
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#75
Report 13 years ago
#75
(Original post by Melkor)
I've been to various Psychology lectures and I quote 'This is the biological makeup of the brain, however as psychologists you don't particularly need to know it very well'.

Also, Psychologists shoud leave neuroscience to the neuroscientists :-)
:rolleyes: You must go to some terrible lectures then.
0
Melkor
Badges: 0
#76
Report 13 years ago
#76
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Surgery? There were less than 25 recorded events of psychosurgery in Britian in 2000, and hasnt really increased much since. You'll find most of the hard work put into aleviating symptoms of such diseases is from Clinical Psychologists working along side Psychiatrists.
Ah yes, you electrocute the victims instead now, with a 3% chance of mental improvement, 97% chance of de humanising, humiliating treatment.
0
Melkor
Badges: 0
#77
Report 13 years ago
#77
The point I'm making is, psychologists like to claim psychology is a science. It isn't.
0
ashy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#78
Report 13 years ago
#78
This is turning into Psychology bashing! My two cents on the subject are that while Psychology isn't a Mickey Mouse subject, it most certainly is not a real science.
0
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#79
Report 13 years ago
#79
(Original post by Melkor)
Ah yes, you electrocute the victims instead now, with a 3% chance of mental improvement, 97% chance of de humanising, humiliating treatment.
lol, I think you watch far too many films.

Electroconvulsive therapy has actually proven to be one of the most successful treatments for depression, and has been successful in treating schizophrenia and OCD. In modern day examples of ECT, the main side effects are typically memory loss, which is often short-term.

A report by the United States Surgeon General states, "The fears that ECT causes gross structural brain pathology have not been supported by decades of methodologically sound research in both humans and animals".

1 million people worldwide receive ECT each year; I don't see that many zombies walking around..

http://www.psych.org/research/apire/..._res/index.cfm
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/librar...r4/sec3_1.html
0
ashy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#80
Report 13 years ago
#80
Woo I killed the discussion, go me.

EDIT: damn I should have said that 30 seconds earlier :p:
0
X
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.39%
Virtual campus tours/open days (99)
22.86%
Live streaming events (39)
9.01%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.47%
A uni comparison tool (99)
22.86%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.4%

Watched Threads

View All