Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am new here and I've been thinking about applying to St Andrews. I am an EU national, so I might be eligible for the fee loan/or bursary... but I am concerned about the living costs. I've heard St Andrews is a pretty expensive place to live.

I may be able to get a maximum (maybe less) of 170 pounds per month from my father and then I have to take care of the rest. I would like to get a part-time job, but will it be enough for the living costs?

I don't want to rely on bursaries/scholarships, because you are never sure if you actually get something. I just know about the accomodation bursary, which is pretty awesome, but I just feel completely broke anyway, it won't help as much as I need

What do you think? Could I make it work if I get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shyinea)
    Hey guys,

I am new here and I've been thinking about applying to St Andrews. I am an EU national, so I might be eligible for the fee loan/or bursary... but I am concerned about the living costs. I've heard St Andrews is a pretty expensive place to live.

I may be able to get a maximum (maybe less) of 170 pounds per month from my father and then I have to take care of the rest. I would like to get a part-time job, but will it be enough for the living costs?

I don't want to rely on bursaries/scholarships, because you are never sure if you actually get something. I just know about the accomodation bursary, which is pretty awesome, but I just feel completely broke anyway, it won't help as much as I need

170 p/m might be enough for food + essentials, but definitely not enough for rent etc/lavish weekends away.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but with a part-time job? I'm not sure how much is the average wage...

ReputationRep:
    Since your an EU National I'm pretty sure you have the right to work here but you'd better check on that and also the minimum wage for over 21's is 8:30

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your responses, it really helped me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shyinea)
    Hey guys,

work for the university! they're flexible on hours and they pay the national living wage (£8.75 per hour) as opposed to the minimum wage for 18 year olds (£5.60 per hour)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    work for the university! they're flexible on hours and they pay the national living wage (£8.75 per hour) as opposed to the minimum wage for 18 year olds (£5.60 per hour)
    That sounds interesting! ^^
    I'll focus on my application and if (big if!) I get in, I'll be less worried about money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.